Should I Program My Pool Heater??

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
crocty
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14' X 28' In-Ground with printed vinyl liner, approximately 48,000L. Equipment includes, Pentair Intellichlor SCG, Mastertemp NG heater, Pentair 24" sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo VST pump, 8 Circuit Easy Touch automation with ScreenLogic Interface, deck jets, and waterfall

Should I Program My Pool Heater??

Postby crocty » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 07:20

Good morning!

I'm new to the forum and pool ownership, I live in the suburbs of Toronto in Canada. When the pool was constructed i elected to install a eight circuit Pentair Easy Touch automation system to operate all of the equipment. We like to maintain the pool at 82F.

My question is, i have the flexibility to program my heater not to run at certain times of the day with the automation therefore; i am wondering if there is any economy in doing so. My thinking is, that if program the heater to not run for lets say ten hours a day it will still have to make up that heat when its permitted to run. Am i better off leaving it to maintain my set point?

Thanks,

Tyler

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Should I Program My Pool Heater??

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:32

I use a heat pump to heat my pool throughout the year and normally run it for 8 hours a day and turn off at my set point but at the colder time of year it could be on a lot more to maintain temperature. My pump is tied into my heat pump and runs intermittently when the heat pump is at temperature
Obviously a heat pump gets it heat from the air whereas your NG heater always produces heat
I suggest you try different scenarios to determine your best possible setup. Checking you temperature against time and cost
The greater the temperature differential the greater heat exchange so it may work to let it cool down to reheat
Definately get a thermal cover to retain as much heat as possible
crocty
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14' X 28' In-Ground with printed vinyl liner, approximately 48,000L. Equipment includes, Pentair Intellichlor SCG, Mastertemp NG heater, Pentair 24" sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo VST pump, 8 Circuit Easy Touch automation with ScreenLogic Interface, deck jets, and waterfall

Re: Should I Program My Pool Heater??

Postby crocty » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 14:33

Thanks for the reply. I have a thermal cover and we are sure to use it. Interesting perspective on the larger the thermal gap the higher the efficiency in the heat exchange. I think you may be right that trial-and-error could be the best methodology.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”