Copper staining on liner

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Tdraym
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x36 in ground liner pool, cartridge filter, pool heater

Copper staining on liner

Postby Tdraym » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 19:20

Hello, Last summer 2017, the end of july I found stains on liner floor, had water tested at a couple of pool supply stores, they told me it was caused by copper , so treated the water with a couple of products to lower the level and remove the stains from the liner, by the end of the season the stains were gone. So what I was told was the heater was letting copper enter the pool from the heat exchanger due to improper water balance. So is this mean I have to replace the heater or just make sure the water is is at the proper levels ? The pool was closed and all equip. drained so is the heater still going to release copper into the pool for 2018 season everything (heater, pump, filter) has had no water in it for over at least 7 months . I hope someone understands my question. not using heater all winter is it still going to add copper to the water and stain pool liner more ?
thanks, tdraym

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Copper staining on liner

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 03:23

Check the specification of your heater to make sure it has copper in it first of all as the PS may be just guessing
Correct water chemistry is a must and if your pH is low the water will be acidic
Get yourself a decent test kit(Taylor K2006C or TF100) and test your own water, that way you will be consistent in your results
You probably used a sequestrant to remove the stains which doesn't remove the copper only holds it in suspension
Drain and refill (if safe to do) will remove the sequetered copper and give you a fresh start
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Copper staining on liner

Postby Teapot » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 04:01

+1 although to test for copper yourself you will need a dedicated test kit. You may want to consider plumbing in a heat exchanger to keep pool water out of the heater completely, obviously not choosing a copper heat exchanger.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”