recently added solar

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
bmuhlenbruch
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13x24 inground in southwest flordia, pentair pump and filter with a CMP PowerClean Ultra In-Line Chlorinator. i just recently added sungrabber solar (4x 2x20) on a single story house.

recently added solar

Postby bmuhlenbruch » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:15

after adding mysolar system, now when i turn off the solar panels they drain down using the VRV letting air into the system which from what i read is normal. now my chlorinator used to stay full when pump was off but now with the air in the system the chlorinator drains also. when the system turns on automaticly in the AM the chlorinator doesnt fill back up unless i prime it each day. has anyone seen this? or know a fix?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: recently added solar

Postby Teapot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:31

Hi, have you got a working non return valve to prevent the drain down of the leg?
VRV?
bmuhlenbruch
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13x24 inground in southwest flordia, pentair pump and filter with a CMP PowerClean Ultra In-Line Chlorinator. i just recently added sungrabber solar (4x 2x20) on a single story house.

Postby bmuhlenbruch » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:07

Vacuum relief valve (vrv) allows air in panels so they drain. I also do have 2 check valves (non return lines) on the system.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:24

OK, maybe you could sketch a schematic for us to look at?
bmuhlenbruch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bmuhlenbruch » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:38

solar.jpg
solar.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

where it says heater its acually chlorinator.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 16:01

Excellant diagram very clear
Does your pump lose prime if so the check valve after the filter is faulty
If it doesn't isn't the pump powerful enough to force the water through the chlorinator
I suppose that when you re prime it you open the bypass valve and close the solar isolation valves to force it through the chlorinator
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 13:24

Not sure of your exact pipe layout (physical) is there a loop on the exit leg of the solar? if your pad is above the water then it will drain out without a loop to contain some water, possibly. any photos of you pipework available?
rabringmann
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground pool with spa, grotto, waterfalls and slide. Uses Pentair equipment and has solar heating option

Postby rabringmann » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 14:34

Hi, I have a similar problem to another person. My solar heater system was set up INTENTIONALLY by installer to drain when it is turned off. However, the absense of water in the line is causing my chlorinator to drain and then it never fills again. I have talked to the solar installer and he thinks this can be solved by installing a check valve that won't allow panels to drain. But, he said it is normally installed to drain.

Is this really the likely problem or could something else be the cause of my chlorinator losing all water.

A second question I have, is that the guys maintaining my pool are claiming that the extra piping in my flow up to my solar is cause back pressure because the pump is set to a higher rpm when I run solar. I know that I get exact same PSI with solar off in filter as with it on if I am running same rpm on pump. I am not sure that the issue is a back pressure as just normal pressure.

The pool cleaning company is now saying that this higher pressure (from 24 to 32 normal because of higher rpm) will reduce the life of my filter. Should I be worried?

Thanks!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”