heater making whining sound HELP

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
L0veless
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: small fiberglass pool, sta-rite pump and SJ-30 chlorinator

heater making whining sound HELP

Postby L0veless » Sat 26 May, 2018 07:56

I have a Raypack heater 5 years old. three weeks ago I opened my pool everything was going better then usual cleared right up, PH balance out, sanitizer is ideal.two weeks ago I installed a salt water chlorinator its working like a champ. couple days ago I turned the heater on and walked away. yesterday walking by the pool equipment I heard a strange sound.
it was the heater gurgling and sounding like a tea pot befor its whistles, turned the heater off and its stopped (left the pump running) waited a few minute turnde the heater on, had ignition then a few sexonds later the strange sound starts back up turn the heater off and it stopped. I have left the heater off. yesterday went into the pool and notice around the return inlets there were rusted metal shavings I guessing from the heater never had this before and the filter would catch anything pre-heater. do these things need to be bled off as if there is an airlock or something I have no idea where to start or what to do.

thank you

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: heater making whining sound HELP

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 26 May, 2018 16:52

I'm not familiar with that heater, check your manual for possible air locks
That sound seems like kettling as if the heater is boiling due to insufficient water flow through the heat exchanger
I doubt that the rust is coming from the heater as ordinary ferrous metal would soon corrode and rust
Does all the water go through the heater or is it throttled down. Also what is your return flow like

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”