Advice for adding a solar panel setup

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
TheDingo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21ft Above ground pool, Hayward/Jacuzzi cartridge filter and pump.

Advice for adding a solar panel setup

Postby TheDingo » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 21:55

New to pools, it was here when we bought the house last year. It's a 21ft permanent above ground pool. I had to purchase a new filter as the original sand filter that was with house when we bought it was damaged, but the pump works fine. I am adding solar panels to heat on my garage roof (only place that gets direct sun because of my neighbors obnoxious trees). To save strain on the brand new pump I want to use the old pump solely for the heating panels. My question is can I run 2 pumps off of 1 skimmer or do I have to add another skimmer? If I can, am I able to just put a "y" on the bottom of skimmer or should I put on one of the two hole skimmers? Excuse my ignorance I'm just too new to this and am stumped as plumbing was never my specialty.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Advice for adding a solar panel setup

Postby Teapot » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 23:35

Depends on the height of the solar panels and the size of the plumbing and the spec of your pump and size of your filter. Size of 21ft just about get away with one skimmer but as you already feel it might be on the max based on what you are doing now. If all the questions i asked are a bit much just try with the one pump and see how you get on.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”