Liquid Solar Blanket

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 21:03

Though I do not know what specifically the chemical is, it is certainly a molecule with a hydrophobic (water-hating) portion and a hydrophillic (water-loving) end. The water loving end is either charged or polar. The substance is less dense than water so that it floats on the top. All of this leads to a single molecule thick layer when the water is undisturbed. The molecule should be resistant to oxidation from chlorine so probably has no nitrogen sites in it.

If it smelled like an alcohol, then it may indeed be an alcohol which just means it has a hydroxyl group and if that group is on the end then in fact it could be this chemical. BUT, it will not be ordinary alcohol (ethanol) since, as was pointed out, that DOES dissolve in water. So I suspect that the alcohol has a long carbon chain -- at least 5 or more carbons since pentanol is not very soluble in water and is less dense than water. Perhaps 1-hexanol or something even larger.

Bake

Heatsavr Patent

Postby Bake » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 15:16

Chem Geek, If I recall correctly this is the patent for Heatsavr. The original use is for evaporation reduction in reservoirs. Heatsavr, I read some place awhile ago, is just this powder mixed in alcohol as a carrying agent. I hope this helps. I purchased Heatsavr in bulk (4 gals.) and the chemical pump, but since I have not even opened the pool yet I have not been able to try it yet. The link:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=M-4HAA ... +6,303,133
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 21:07

Thanks. That answers the question. The product is just a combination of "an aliphatic alcohol component having from 12 to 24 carbon atoms per molecule" combined with calcium hydroxide. It's basically what I said -- a long-chain alcohol. The calcium hydroxide is just a carrier and dispersing agent. It is the alcohol that is the key ingredient, not the calcium hydroxide, though the patent is about combining the two so that the delivery of the alcohol is part of what is patented.

The preferred embodiment uses cetyl alcohol (1-hexadeconal) so you could just buy some of that to add to the water (it only takes a small amount as the layer is only one molecule thick), but the use of the calcium hydroxide sounds like it helps disperse the product because the hydroxide dissolves first leaving charged calcium behind that tends to repel and spread the alcohol across the surface, then the calcium itself dissolves. The product isn't that expensive -- it works well so long as there isn't much wind.

Richard
Bake

Heatsavr

Postby Bake » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:46

Richard:

The Heatsavr is actually relatively expensive. I paid around $300 plus shipping for the injector chemical pump, one time cost, and $220 plus shipping for 4 gallons of the Heatsavr. The 4 Gallons should be enough for my 28' x 52' pool for the season. I got it form Solardirect.

Rich
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:40

Sorry. I was thinking of SolarFish, not HeatSavr. I wonder what's in SolarFish? Probably a similar chemical, but not in powder form (it feels like it's already a liquid).
Bake

Heatsavr

Postby Bake » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 14:44

I don't know what is in SolarFish but the same people that make heatsavr are the same people that make Tropical Fish liquid solar blanket, and the liquid in the Tropical fish is the same as in Heasavr. Heasavr is just the bulk vertion. The difference between the powder in the patent linked above and Heasavr is that the "powder" is mixed I belive with regular alcohol. They even say in the instructions I read some place that if the Heatsavr freezes the powder will come out of solution, but will go back to normal at higer temps. It has been awhile and I don't have a link for it, but the Heatsavr has its own patent and thus the high cost of the product. Again when I finally get my pool open ( I have been dealing with a major flood cleanup, frozen pump motor and leaks) I will try the Heatsavr and give everyone a report. My pool normaly holds a 76 deg. temp (except on the very hotest days) with out a cover or heater.

Rich
Nicole

Liquid Solar

Postby Nicole » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 07:21

Our company is one of the leading dealers of Heliocol Solar Systems and we offer Mid West Canvas Solar Blankets, Aquacover Reel Systems and also Sunsolar Tropical Fish Liquid Blankets. You can find testimonials and product information on out web page. We have been in the pool heating business for over nineteen days, we would be more than happy to get you info or answer any of questions, Please feel free to call us or check us out on the web.

Nicole
Mr. Money Saver

How To Make Your Own Liquid Solar Pool Cover

Postby Mr. Money Saver » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:29

For those of you who do not think the comercial brands of Liquid Solar pool Cover is very expensive, just wanted to let you know I make my own for $10.00 per gallon. You can learn more about how to make it
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 20:34

There is more on this topic in this thread where patent 6,303,133 indicates that the preferred chemical is cetyl alcohol (1-hexadeconol). The isoproponol listed in the MSDS is simply a carrier and not the primary active substance which is just listed as an "organic surfactant" (5% of the product by weight).

Richard
Me...

Re: Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby Me... » Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:13

Wow, ancient thread and I hate to resurrect it but .....

That product was invented right here where I live. In very the beginning it came in 45 gallon drums and you pumped it out into your containers to use. My biggest worry was if the product would interfere in any way with the equipment itself. It didn't and has proved to be a great product, not as good as an actual blanket, but it will save you substantial money over not using a blanket. And it comes or at least came in different flavors and of course names.

And it is alcohol based, hence the need to continually add it. The calibrated pump they use is an awesome way to feed it because you use something like an oz. for every 400 sq.ft., every night, after the pool closes. It bonds together on the surface and does its magic, so the more the surface is disturbed the less effective it is. Its always there, rising to the surface and rebonding.

The most dramatic effect I saw was starting about 2,000 sq.ft. outdoor pool on a winter night. The pool was really warm and there was so much steam you could hardly see across the pool. Poured some product in and you could just watch it crawl across the surface and stop the steam.
ryoung6179

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby ryoung6179 » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:07

is there a problem working in a solar heater with the liquid blanket? I live in Ohio and was hoping those 2 products are compatable?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby chem geek » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 12:00

The product should be compatible with a standard solar heating system. It mostly stays on the surface of the water rather than circulate through (depending on your flow rate and whether you have a "funnel" effect in your skimmer).

The key to the product is that it is a long-chained alcohol so it has a hydrophilic alcohol end that sticks in the water and a hydrophobic long carbon-chain that sits at the water surface, all sticking up together crammed next to each other as a single molecule layer over the entire water surface. This inhibits water evaporation which therefore reduces heat loss. As Me... noted, it works best when the water is not disturbed, say by wind or by waterfalls, fountains, spillovers, etc.

Richard
redwun

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby redwun » Wed 06 May, 2009 12:47

some of them are, IN fact the chemical composition is Isopropyl Alcohol aka rubbing alcohol 67-63-0 > 80% ,Isopropyl alcohol, Isopropanol, IPA, 2-Propanol, dimethyl carbinol,and the rest is fatty acid alcohol based .
basically mixed with a surfactant. Surfactants are wetting agents that lower the surface tension of a liquid, allowing easier spreading, and lower the interfacial tension between two liquids,lower evaporation.

heck you might try mineral oil or other way/oil mixed with it rub alcohol

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”