How well is my heat pump running?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
mwl001
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 14k gallon
1hp pump
Sand filter
Fibroheat 109 heat pump
PebbleTec

How well is my heat pump running?

Postby mwl001 » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 10:49

Hello there, new to the forum. I had a pool heat pump years ago without a thermostat, just a dial you could adjust in conjunction with a floating thermometer. I lucked in to a basically free FibroHeat 109 heat pump (apparently not a great unit overall, but it's working!) that I just got hooked in after tons of electrical issues and problems.

The nice thing about it - it tells me water temp in and out. At this time of the morning (in AZ) I'm getting 70 degrees in and 77 out. Anybody have any idea about what an efficiently running 110k BTU pump should be able to output? Seems like it's working well, but I have no frame of reference.

Also, this heat pump has an aux heater. It seems to be really helping keep the frost down since we're getting into the 40s at night. Anyone have experience with this feature in a different or the same pump? It doesn't seem to have an auto on/off function, so I'm just curious when everyone thinks I should run it - assuming it uses a lot of electricity, and doesn't seem to heat the water, just help the heat pump work better.

Thanks!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: How well is my heat pump running?

Postby Teapot » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 11:10

The aux heater is probably the defrost heater.
+7 degrees sounds about right.
Efficiency wise you would need to look at your electric meter and work out how much you are using by how much the rise in temperature is then the kw to achieve this over what you are using.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”