Heat Pump & Pool Pump M3 per hour

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
tashbee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 7m x 3.5 Lined pool with gas and electric heat pump (powered by solar)

Heat Pump & Pool Pump M3 per hour

Postby tashbee » Mon 27 May, 2019 12:14

Hi,

I have just installed a heat pump so that I can heat my pool automatically when there is enough sun.

I was diligently reading the manual and noticed that the heat pump manual says that is has a flow rate of 3 to 3.5 m3/h
I have a 1Hp pump which says that it will do 366l per minute which by my reckoning is 8m3 per hour.

Although I have put a bypass into the water circuit, I was only expecting to use it to isolate the heat pump.

I have hunted around and can not see or read about anyone who is not just connected the heat pump in line.

So my question is how do I know the flow rate through my heat pump do I just go by the pressure gauge?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been covered.... I did have a good hunt first.

Tom

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Heat Pump & Pool Pump M3 per hour

Postby Teapot » Tue 28 May, 2019 10:56

Hi Tom,
366 ltr per minute is close to 22m3 from your pump. However because of head loss from plumbing, filtration etc you'll probably only get 15m3 at best. I can't see the spec of your pool, plumbing or filter so it could be less than that.
The pressure gauge only shows the system pressure ( what is the system pressure?) It takes clever calculations to guestimate the flow from that. Better to use a flow meter of some kind.
Please come back with the rest of your system spec and maybe we can guestimate.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Heat Pump & Pool Pump M3 per hour

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 28 May, 2019 16:46

Teapot wrote:Hi Tom,
366 ltr per minute is close to 22m3 from your pump. However because of head loss from plumbing, filtration etc you'll probably only get 15m3 at best. I can't see the spec of your pool, plumbing or filter so it could be less than that.
The pressure gauge only shows the system pressure ( what is the system pressure?) It takes clever calculations to guestimate the flow from that. Better to use a flow meter of some kind.
Please come back with the rest of your system spec and maybe we can guestimate.

What about a pump speed controller to reduce the flow rate

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”