Heaters with salt chlorination

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Organum
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30x12ft inground, double breeze block walls concrete skimmed latest fit with liner. 33kw Jandy gas boiler. Sand filter.

Heaters with salt chlorination

Postby Organum » Mon 03 Jun, 2019 02:01

I have been running a Jandy gas boiler with salt water chlorination for over ten years and the the boiler has just departed this life in a cloud of steam.
Time to replace but with what? My local pool company won’t touch our pool because of the salt but for us retirees the system has keep the pool fantastically clear over the past ten year so want to retain it.

My understanding is that Jandy are copper heat exchanger so will corrode with salt but even so ten years ain’t bad.

Certikin say they have a heat exchanger which takes better care of corrosion.

Then there is a heat pump, so which way to go?

Tech has moved on since we first moved into the house with a pool!

Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Heaters with salt chlorination

Postby Teapot » Mon 03 Jun, 2019 10:01

The heat exchanger part of a heater for salt pools needs to be titanium or worst case cupronickel.
Heat pumps are the most efficient method especially the variable speed versions. Gas maybe cheaper and quicker when it's cold outside, nothing to stop you buying a regular gas boiler and an external titanium heat exchanger, just go bigger with the exchanger than they spec for best results.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”