Jandy Lite2 Pilot Flame big and yellow

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
richieb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28 foot above ground. Have a hand me down heater that I have been working on for 2 seasons trying to get going, I feel I have too much invested in the heater to abandon! I am determined to get that fired up

Jandy Lite2 Pilot Flame big and yellow

Postby richieb » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 08:12

I have a Jandy Lite2 i have been working on for 2 seasons trying to get going, after replacing both headers, the pilot line, and the thermocoupler I finally got the pilot light lit and it stays on. Big win, however the flame coming off the pilot burner is very big and yellow, not small and blue like it should be. Struggling to figure out how to diagnose, some information states it could be restricted air flow but I don't see how air is taken into the chamber.

Any help anyone can offer for how I can diagnose is appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Jandy Lite2 Pilot Flame big and yellow

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 16:30

A yellow flame means lack of air to mix with the gas as you suggest (this is after the pilot jet)
Check any filter isn't linted up or holes blocked up
richieb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28 foot above ground. Have a hand me down heater that I have been working on for 2 seasons trying to get going, I feel I have too much invested in the heater to abandon! I am determined to get that fired up

Postby richieb » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 17:14

Thank you - I do not see anything called a pilot jet on the parts diagram. Is it referred to a different name by any chance? I did replace the line that runs from the gas valve (where the pilot knob resides) to the pilot burner. There does not seem to be anywhere aside from maybe the gas valve where a blockage could occur. I don't see how any air is brought into the flow, there is no intake that I can see.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 02:13

Don't contemplate taking the gas valve down
If you have an air compressor try blowing it around the pilot (it's something restricting the air)
Failing that get a gas service engineer to look at it
richieb
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby richieb » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 05:32

Ok, i am considering hiring a tech. Can you tell me how air is brought into this flow? Is it just the air from the vents on the housing? This is the process I dont understand, if i can tell hosw air is intended to be introduced to the pilot I can focus there and see if there is any blockage. I will pull the pilot burner and thoroughly clean as well. Thank you very much for responding!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 12:17

Generally there is a small pilot jet which goes up to a venturi sucking in air and mixing the gas and air
That is where the blockage would be
Attachments
thermocouple-and-pilot-tube-burner-in-gas-furnace.jpg
thermocouple-and-pilot-tube-burner-in-gas-furnace.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
gramps
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Big sofa pool with buble

Postby gramps » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 02:20

Seems interesting. I have the same design.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”