Gas heater AND heat pump

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Kate_okoboji
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24,000 gallon in ground

Gas heater AND heat pump

Postby Kate_okoboji » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 17:33

Hello,
Is it possible to run a gas heater and a heat pump in series? I believe my family has this setup in Florida, but everyone in California (where I live) is telling me such an option doesn't exist - that I have to pick one or the other. I'd like to have both. I currently have a gas heater which works great to heat the pool quickly. But, I have solar electricity for my house. So, if I could run the electric pump instead of a gas heater to maintain the temperature, I would save a lot of money. Ideas?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Gas heater AND heat pump

Postby Teapot » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 12:14

I have never done what you are suggesting and probably never would. If I was to do something like that it would be in parallel not series. Then valved accordingly to allow selection. This would be to stop water much hotter than an air source heat pump would produce from flowing through its vital parts, seals and bearings, electronics etc.
Also the more heat exchangers you pass through the bigger the losses to my way of thinking.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”