Dedicated Solar Pump

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Rush62
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30,000 Gallon

Dedicated Solar Pump

Postby Rush62 » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 18:24

Been reading advice here for sometime..

I am having to get a new roof on my house, I had the solar panels pulled for the job. I am planning to build a rack system instead of putting them back on the roof (was a bad idea in the first place :).. My question is on a dedicated pump (pool pump is on the opposite side of the house, because of yard space for the rack)

The only part of this I am knowledgeable about is the electrical end, and the rack mechanics, so if I say something STUPID no laughing lol..

I have 10 Fafco 4x12 solar panels, supply piping will be roughly 25'.. close to that on the return. (I may drop one panel because it will be facing a much better direction on the rack)

If I understand what I have read here, the solar panels will be more efficient with higher flow, but since I will have to ad a dedicated pump, I am actually more concerned with the added electrical for the pump (I already have 2 running, 1 for pool, 1 for spa) so this will make number 3 arghh.

I would like to use 1 1/4 pipe if possible (solar has 2" header).. I am at a loss as to the pump GPM/HP I should be looking at.. I am guessing I may be told to go with 2" pipe, but the cosmetics would be better with 1 1/4 or maybe 1 1/5 pipe..

Any advice on the on pump size/gpm/hp would be GREATLY appreciated !!!
Thanks!!

Randy

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Dedicated Solar Pump

Postby Teapot » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 01:19

First question is the max height on the panels so how high will you need to lift the water?
Whilst high flow is better than low flow for heat transfer, this should also be balanced with the additional cost of running the pumps. Slightly less flow and maybe less pumps required.
Interested in your project but bound to need to ask more questions of your current setup.
Rush62
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30,000 Gallon

Re: Dedicated Solar Pump

Postby Rush62 » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 10:46

I wish I had copied the message I just wrote before I lost it (twice) arghh..

Max height will be 3 to 4 feet, I am in Central Florida so my angle will be very slight... location is 28.52 / -81.26
The rack will be made with rigid conduit (or black iron) for posts, then large strut channel for vertical braces, and then lighter strut channel for horizontal bracing.

I am not planning on using an actuator like on the roof, but was planning on using a sensor to pull in a small motor relay if panels were warm, but off on cloudy/rainy days..

By all means PLEASE ask questions :).. had to talk my wife into this rack and don't want to screw it up lol..
Thanks!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”