Floating Reflective covers to prevent overheating of pool

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
JohnnyG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool Specs:
===================
32'x16' In-ground
Approx 15,000 gallons
Vinyl Liner
Depth: 3' => 5' (shallow pool)
All day sun

Floating Reflective covers to prevent overheating of pool

Postby JohnnyG » Fri 13 Aug, 2021 17:02

I have a 16x32' in-ground pool that is pretty shallow overall (3' => 4.5') and gets all day sun.
When we have consecutive days of heat waves and full sun, it can overheat the pool very quickly.

I'm looking for some floating reflecting discs (silver material like you use for your car dashboard/windshield to keep the inside from overheating), that I can toss in the pool when not in use and easily collect them from the pool surface when we do want to use the pool. I'd like to avoid a full 16'x32' cover - that's just going to be too bulky/heavy to manage day-to-day.
I think a nice collection of these 'discs' as I'm calling them - maybe 3' to 4' in diameter would make more sense and cover enough of the surface to reduce my heating issue.

I've not been able to find these online - maybe I'm not using the correct terminology? Anyone have any links I can check into? Thanks. -john

mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Floating Reflective covers to prevent overheating of pool

Postby mknmike » Fri 04 Feb, 2022 10:00

I did a few searches, and lots of “lily pad pool heater” things popped up like on Pinterest. It seems like more people use these to heat than cool.

I wonder if the whole concept you have could end up limiting cooling evaporation and end up having the opposite affect, even if using a reflective color/surface.

Also, if there’s any water on top, isn’t that going to cool up hotter? I’ve read that this can be a cause of algae blooms on top of covers due to the higher heat in the small area, then contaminating the rest of the pool with algae after pulling the cover out.

I am interested in the topic.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”