to heat or not to heat

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
beifstu
I'm new here
I'm new here

to heat or not to heat

Postby beifstu » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 18:40

well we live in louisville ky and our summer's are pretty average with above average humidity. we are building a 12x26 fiberglass pool and were originally gonna put in a natural gas heater. after a couple of estimates we discovered that with running the gas line it would be just as expensive as a heat pump. so we are at a dilema...should we go with natural gas or a heat pump (and in order to do either one of these we would have to give up our fiber optic lighting to afford it) or should we keep the fiber optic lighting and give up heatig the pool all together??? Please help us. We are at the beginning of construction and have to decide as soon as possible!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 20:12

If I were you, I would go for the lighting and have them go ahead and plumb the pipes for a heater...but don't buy one until you have used the pool for a season.

In Kentucky, I think you will be surprised how warm the pool will get with a solar blanket.

Unless of course you want it 85 degrees year round, in which case go for the heat pump as the gas will put you in the poor house. ;)

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”