Adding solar pool heater panels

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
m4gnumek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Adding solar pool heater panels

Postby m4gnumek » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 13:30

Hi. I am located in Tampa Bay area in Florida. I have a 11k gallon fiberglass pool with surface area 8'x21' under a screened porch. I purchased a solar pool heater system already, which contains seven 4x12 solar panels, Hayward GVA-24 Valve Acuator and Hayward Aquastar II Solar Pool Controler. 

I currently have a Flotec AT251001-01 1hp single speed pool pump which I assume would not be suitable for the panels. would prefer to stay with 110v/120v pump. Which pump would you recommend? Should I get a dual speed or variable speed?

By looking at some online calculator, it shows that 3 panels would be enough for my pool (I could give the other ones to my parents). How many panels would you recommend?

Also, my roof will need to be replaced next year so I dont want to install it there yet. I was thinking about installing it on the aluminum metal flat roof above my porch for now. What installation method and mounts would you recommend?

I would appreciate your help! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Adding solar pool heater panels

Postby Mike_Snoo » Thu 21 Apr, 2022 15:30

Hey, I am on the other Side of Florida. I have a 35000 gal pool and have currently (April) a temperature in the mid to high 80s. I installed extra Panels, more usually never hurt. In total I have 9 4x12 panels. I don´t think the pump size is to small, it´s more a question how bad was your pool plumed. In my pool they hat a ton of unnecessary 90degree turns,... I replumed my pool completely new. I am using a variable speed pump, with I run on very low settings. My pump is controlled by the sun. Means if the sun is in a certain angle above the horizon it goes on and runs until the sun is below a certain angle. I want to get the most out of my solar heater. I would not recommend you any of the variable speed pumps in the US. They all have issues with the drive and if the drive goes bad you add easily $700 repair costs. I run my pump with a "Chinese" VFD drive, no issues for over 2 years.

Regarding the installation and mounts, that´s something a local engineer has to figure out. You also need a permit if you want to follow all the rules in the rulebook. I just looked at my old installed panels and installed the same mounts. Wasn´t to difficult.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 21 Apr, 2022 15:50

Cant fault the VFD advice, fitted a number without issue. I do fit different pumps if the pad is below the water line as they can be more efficient.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
m4gnumek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby m4gnumek » Thu 21 Apr, 2022 16:24

Thank you so much for your comment.

Could you link the pump that you have or provide the model?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”