Need advice for solar heater system

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
m4gnumek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Need advice for solar heater system

Postby m4gnumek » Fri 06 May, 2022 14:23

Hello. I am located in Tampa Bay, FL. I am installing 6 Heliocon HC-40 solar panels (4'x10.6') on a southern side flat roof, so it gives 254 sq ft. My pool is pretty small, its less than 10k gallon and is 22'x10' oval (8 shape) so the total surface area would be around 180 sq ft. With 6 panels the total panel to pool surface area is 140%. Pool is under screen enclosure and located on the western side of the house so it is mostly shaded during the morning. The roof is 8ft high. The "to solar" pipe would be ~30' feet long and "to pool/from solar" pipe would be ~40' long horizontally.

I wanted to update my single speed pump so I purchased a Pentair SuperFlo VS (manufactured in 2018) since I would only be able to use 115v connection for now.

I also bought Hayward solar system which came as Hayward GVA24 Valve Actuator and Hayward GL-235 AquaSolar Controller. However Pentair customer support told me that the pump will not work properly with the Hayward system so I just ordered a Pentair SunTouch controller, it does not include the valve actuator and 3 way valve so I need to order these separately. Not sure if I should order Pentair Valve Actuator (263045) and Pentair 3-way Valve (263028) or if I can use any brand actuator and valve. Could you recommend any that more pocket friendly?

So to sum up my solar system includes:
    6 x Heliocon HC-40 solar panels (4'x10.6')
    Pentair SuperFloVS pump
    *Hayward GVA24 Valve Actuator and Hayward GL-235 AquaSolar Controller
    or Pentair SunTouch controller

Do you think the Hayward system will work or is it better to use the Pentair system?
Would 6 solar panels be enough?
Do you think the system will work efficiently enough? Or would it be better to switch the inlet and outlet pipes (picture)?
Attachments
Untitled.png

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Need advice for solar heater system

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 06 May, 2022 16:53

TBH I think the Pentair guys are lying as most of the valves are universal as are the actuators. The controllers are differential temperature controllers but beyond that I cant assist. Just remember when you are not boosting the pump for the solar, slower filtration is better filtration and saves money to.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”