Concerns about very long pipe run to solar panels.

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Leicesterboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32’x16’ inground, rectangular, aqua link

Concerns about very long pipe run to solar panels.

Postby Leicesterboy » Mon 06 Jun, 2022 12:24

I’m planning to use enersol panels on a 32’X 16’ rectangular pool, south facing, rack tilted at 30-35 degrees. I should need about 28 panels if I use manufacturers recommendations of 50%, but I will likely go to 60% or 70% (up to 38). My problem is the distance from the pool house to the position of the solar panels. ….about 200ft! (To get to an open unshaded space) I’m planning to dig a shallow trench and suck/force water out of the pipes for winterization here in Ontario. My concern is twofold. Firstly, impact on the choice of pool pump. I’m planning to use 2” ABS pipe for the run back and forward and a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Is that OK? Also,I’m worried about loss of heat in such a long pipe run. Any idea what that temperature drop might be over such a long distance? Thanks. John.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Concerns about very long pipe run to solar panels.

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 07 Jun, 2022 07:08

A lot, insulating it would also cost a lot. Cant calculate it without a lot more data such as moisture content of soils, temperature etc so good luck with that.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”