Any benefit from bubbles-up solar blanket?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Redface

Postby Redface » Mon 20 Aug, 2007 19:47

Somebody who I won't mention cut out the solar blanket pattern with the new blanket turned upside down. Before throwing the new, wasted blanket in the garbage, I wondered if there is any benefit to using an upside-down blanket?

How long would it last with the bubbles up?

Obviously, I am grasping for straws. But, maybe somebody else was as stupid as I was and actually tried an upside-down blanket. Just thought I'd ask -- anonymously of course.

Please be gentle with your responses.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:22

Even though the bubbles are supposed to face down, using it face up would still be better than no blanket at all.

I am assuming you have a curved pool or steps and that why you cant just flip it over?

You could also cut it into strips like these people did., flip over most of the liner and just leave the "custom" portion face up.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Isaiah
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Isaiah » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 14:44

Swimming pool solar blankets are made of plastic and are covered with air bubbles, giving them an appearance similar to that of bubble wrap. Sunlight is able to pass through these thermal sheets, causing the pool water to heat up. However, the air bubbles along with the thickness of the blanket's plastic create an insulating effect, trapping the heat in the water and preventing the warmth from escaping back out into the air. These insulating properties also greatly reduce the evaporation of water and chemicals from swimming pools. Since evaporation is a major cause of heat loss from swimming pools, solar pool blankets can make a significant difference with regards to heat retention.

Postby Guest » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:58

I also did the same thing this weekend! Was wondering if you ended up trying your cover upside down and if so did it work? Please let me know or advise.
Pendlm

Postby Pendlm » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 19:37

In 2003 I purchased a new magna-clear solar blanket and installed it bubble-side down in my pool. In 2005 I received a new blanket under warranty because the first started to disintegrate. In 2005 I installed this new magna-clear blanket intentionally with the bubbles up. It lasted until today (8/17/2010). I'm debating now whether to install my new blanket bubbles up or down since I'm not sure why the replacement blanket lasted so much longer? Was it just the bubble orientation, or was it something else? Who knows?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 21:47

Pendlm wrote:In 2003 I purchased a new magna-clear solar blanket and installed it bubble-side down in my pool. In 2005 I received a new blanket under warranty because the first started to disintegrate. In 2005 I installed this new magna-clear blanket intentionally with the bubbles up. It lasted until today (8/17/2010). I'm debating now whether to install my new blanket bubbles up or down since I'm not sure why the replacement blanket lasted so much longer? Was it just the bubble orientation, or was it something else? Who knows?

most solar blankets are designed with a clear top to hold the heat in, and a reflective metallic bottom to collect heat from the sun. Were you still receiving the same result turning it upside down?
xx

Postby xx » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 17:14

the disintegration of the blanket is caused by not covering the blanket when it is rolled up on the spool.

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 22:00

Please dont throw away your inverted blanket. Ive been experimenting on covers for years (a little each year) I am very curious as to the heating results. The best I've done is 97 F (top to bottom mixed in So Cal with a blue blanket). I just got a new clear cover and was considering cutting it backwards. My last cover was black as I thought it would do a better job of heating but it didn't. Please post your heating results. I will post mine with the clear cover in July.

Thank you,

Dave
pintohenry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pintohenry » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 05:31

Hi there, This is really interesting thread about solar blanket. I am very glad to read this thread.
Becky

Postby Becky » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 16:34

I live in Southern NM where summer temperatures can get as high as 102 degrees. When temps are this high, my solar cover heats my pool ( a vinyl above-ground) to 90 degrees, which is too hot! During these high temps I turn my solar cover upside down, with the bubbles up. The solar cover then only heats my pool up to about 84 degrees. I have to replace my solar cover every two years because it falls apart. I am not sure if turning it upside down contributes to this problem. However, the local pool supply store owner told me that my solar cover will only last me a couple of years due to the high temps and hard water in our area. Any thoughts on whether or not I may ruining my solar cover by turning it upside down?
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 17:57

I've been in the swimming pool business over a decade. Sunlight UV rays absolutely tear up pool equipment of every sort. During that time, I had observed some interesting notes about wear and tear on pool covers.

-Pool clients that kept their pool covers outside, uncovered, pushed off to the side of the pool tended to chew through pool covers quickly.
-Pool clients that stored their pool covers in a shaded or enclosed room/area/garage when the cover was not being used, got the most life expectancy out of their covers in terms of years.
bredbru
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground 35 foot pool

Re: Any benefit from bubbles-up solar blanket?

Postby bredbru » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 19:58

Pendlm wrote:In 2003 I purchased a new magna-clear solar blanket and installed it bubble-side down in my pool. In 2005 I received a new blanket under warranty because the first started to disintegrate. In 2005 I installed this new magna-clear blanket intentionally with the bubbles up. It lasted until today (8/17/2010). I'm debating now whether to install my new blanket bubbles up or down since I'm not sure why the replacement blanket lasted so much longer? Was it just the bubble orientation, or was it something else? Who knows?

what was the difference in temperature when it was reversed? or was it the same?
MYazzie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: VINYL LINER

Postby MYazzie » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 22:57

I have not used it yet, but will try it now. Can someone recommend me a good one?
PoolChemCalculator
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby PoolChemCalculator » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 13:08

I think being upside down will allow for more evaporation, making it a little less efficient but its an interesting experiment.
Solar blankets can increase pool heater efficiency by up to %20. You can see the difference it makes using a heating time pool calculator. Even if its upside down and not as efficient, it's still better than not having one, especially if using a heater.
ZiaE
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17000 curvy shaped in ground pool with spa (spillover).

Postby ZiaE » Thu 21 May, 2020 11:45

Glad to see I’m not the only one. This happened to me yesterday so our ‘upside down’ blue solar cover has only been on one day. The only thing I have noticed so far is it seems to resist being blown by the wind better on the flat side than the bubbles side. Since we are not using the cover to heat the pool but rather to minimize heat loss during the heating process I think (am hoping) that this mistake might not be too bad, especially if it stays in place better! I will endeavor to update over the next few weeks!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”