Any benefit from bubbles-up solar blanket?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
TSH Tech

Any benefit from bubbles-up solar blanket?

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 17:57

I've been in the swimming pool business over a decade. Sunlight UV rays absolutely tear up pool equipment of every sort. During that time, I had observed some interesting notes about wear and tear on pool covers.

-Pool clients that kept their pool covers outside, uncovered, pushed off to the side of the pool tended to chew through pool covers quickly.
-Pool clients that stored their pool covers in a shaded or enclosed room/area/garage when the cover was not being used, got the most life expectancy out of their covers in terms of years.

bredbru
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground 35 foot pool

Re: Any benefit from bubbles-up solar blanket?

Postby bredbru » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 19:58

Pendlm wrote:In 2003 I purchased a new magna-clear solar blanket and installed it bubble-side down in my pool. In 2005 I received a new blanket under warranty because the first started to disintegrate. In 2005 I installed this new magna-clear blanket intentionally with the bubbles up. It lasted until today (8/17/2010). I'm debating now whether to install my new blanket bubbles up or down since I'm not sure why the replacement blanket lasted so much longer? Was it just the bubble orientation, or was it something else? Who knows?
Pendlm wrote:In 2003 I purchased a new magna-clear solar blanket and installed it bubble-side down in my pool. In 2005 I received a new blanket under warranty because the first started to disintegrate. In 2005 I installed this new magna-clear blanket intentionally with the bubbles up. It lasted until today (8/17/2010). I'm debating now whether to install my new blanket bubbles up or down since I'm not sure why the replacement blanket lasted so much longer? Was it just the bubble orientation, or was it something else? Who knows?

what was the difference in temperature when it was reversed? or was it the same?
MYazzie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: VINYL LINER

Postby MYazzie » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 22:57

I have not used it yet, but will try it now. Can someone recommend me a good one?
PoolChemCalculator
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby PoolChemCalculator » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 13:08

I think being upside down will allow for more evaporation, making it a little less efficient but its an interesting experiment.
Solar blankets can increase pool heater efficiency by up to %20. You can see the difference it makes using a heating time pool calculator. Even if its upside down and not as efficient, it's still better than not having one, especially if using a heater.
ZiaE
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 17000 curvy shaped in ground pool with spa (spillover).

Postby ZiaE » Thu 21 May, 2020 11:45

Glad to see I’m not the only one. This happened to me yesterday so our ‘upside down’ blue solar cover has only been on one day. The only thing I have noticed so far is it seems to resist being blown by the wind better on the flat side than the bubbles side. Since we are not using the cover to heat the pool but rather to minimize heat loss during the heating process I think (am hoping) that this mistake might not be too bad, especially if it stays in place better! I will endeavor to update over the next few weeks!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”