home made pool heater

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
canuk

pool heater

Postby canuk » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 21:00

I tried the t in my filter line and found that it took the path of least resistance and did not pump more then 2 feet high. so I found someone with a spare above ground filter/pump used some jb weld to reduce down to 1/2 inch on the output ran 2 black 50 foot garden hoses to the peak of my roof (22 feet) coiled out 100 feet of 1/2 inch pvc I did not want to t off the filter so i just hung the intake hose over the side next to the skimmer sometimes i have to prime it to start it. it raised my 15x4 foot pool by about 12 degrees now I can just keep adding 100 foot lenghts across my roof peak to increase the temp 18 dollers per 100 feet works great recomend to everyone jim

cold pool

fire pit heat

Postby cold pool » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 20:22

kansasdude wrote:After reading everyone's posts, I'm encouraged to try the cheap way out and use plastic pipe rather than the higher dollar factory built solar heaters. I really don't like the idea of having to climb up on the roof to to install the collector. Not to mention the installation and plumbing problems.

My pool is an 18ft above ground "portable" pool, the type that's vinyl sided with a metal framework suspending it. I already use a solar blanket, and have one of the harbor freight pumps, so any additional heat would be a bonus. If black pipe coiled on the ground can produce acceptable heat, I'm all for trying.

As an aside, I've also build something similar to the "redneck pool heater". In my case I took a old car radiator (aluminum) and placed it over my fire pit. Nearly 100% of the heat produced by the fire was transferred to the core area, with the top side of the core being cool to the touch. The hardest part was keeping the fire burning all day! I think if I was burning wood pellets instead of scrap lumber I might have had better luck.

--Dale
guest_tyler

home made pool heater

Postby guest_tyler » Thu 27 Mar, 2008 23:21

When I was young, we had 200 feet of black pipe coiled on a 8'x8' platform.
It raised a 25ft standup pool by 12-18 deg F. The temp went from 65-68 up to 75-84
user2008

home made mess

Postby user2008 » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:10

What ever happen to the solar fence that was out 11 years ago, where the pool water was heated inside the PVC fence?
macsrcs

poolheaters

Postby macsrcs » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 19:32

I was wanting to try a redneck heater, could you put in a bypass and control with valves as long as you could maintain your operating pressure. I have a 23'x32'x48" inground and was wanting to try 300 hundred feet of 5/8 black hose, cut in a tee after filter and cut it back into return line so there would not see a garden hose going into pool plus little kids around dont want to get burnt. Also hang on south side of fence for max solar power
Thomas74

Will a Syphon work to keep 2" abs water heater flowing

Postby Thomas74 » Sat 17 May, 2008 11:37

I'm interested in hooking up 400' of 2" Abs pipe and have it flow naturally with a syphon instead of the costly water pump. Any feed back on this approach???
newpoolguy

Home made pool heater

Postby newpoolguy » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 22:18

I just built a coil solar heater, but haven't gotten good results with it yet. I ran 2" PVC lines up to the roof (with a check valve IMMEDIATELY after the filter to prevent backflow when the pump shuts off). I have a ball valve on the upflow, and a bypass ball valve so I can divert some, all, or none of the water to the roof. I made 4 coils out of 3/4" poly tubing from lowes (around $20 for 100' coil) The coils are connected to two headers. The headers are 2" PVC with a Tee and a threaded 3/4 reducer, Using the pex 3/4 male threaded connector to connect to the headers. The coils are held together with pvc electrical conduit (2 -10' sections cut in half) and they form an X on both sides of the coil, and are bolted with five bolts. One in the center, and 1 on all the ends. I thought 4 would equal the same flow as my 1.5" pool line, but the pressure spiked for 10 psi to 20 psi so I had to open the diverter valve to allow some of the water to bypass the roof. I don't want to burn out my pump. I bought enough PVC to make 2 more coils, but I'm gonna use 1/2 inch this time. I might be able to make 200' coil in the same space as a 100' 3/4. If that's the case, I can collect more heat, and build one more, as that is all my roof will hold. If it works better, I can rebuild the existing 100 ft 3/4" ones with 200' 1/2inch. I will only be out $80 for the 3/4 coils. I'm sure I could use them for drip irrigation in the garden i want to build in a few years anyway.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Home made pool heater

Postby Me... » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 10:49

You don't mention an air bleeder. Up top you need to have a valve to bleed the air out of the system. Your pressure will spike quite a bit until the water starts flowing back down the other side.
newpoolguy

Home made pool heater

Postby newpoolguy » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 12:57

I did not put an air bleed valve at the top, and I've been thinking about that. What would you suggest I use? I did not see anything in the pvc aisle I that would work. I did install a check valve (much smaller than 2", on the top end of the manifold I reduced it to 1/2") to let air back in when I cut off the flow (usually around 7 at night when the shadow of the higher roof starts to cross over). I did think about getting the air out. I just figured it would push out when the pump kicked back on, but a bleeder would definitely help out the pump.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Home made pool heater

Postby Me... » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 09:08

Find a shop that has parts for radiator / hydronic heating systems. They will have automatic air bleeders you can use.
SNAKEBIT
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 4-9' deep
hayward sand filter and pump
diving board and slide

Home made pool heater

Postby SNAKEBIT » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 18:21

Ok I have 250' of 3/4" black hose on my roof now. I used it to fill the pool warm up the well water on its way to the pool. now I want to cut into the line BUT WHERE?
inground
POOL: 18 x 38
depth 3' - 9'
pump with 1-1/2" pipe goes to
sand filter to 1-1/2" to
heater 2" in & out reduced to 1-1/2" to
pool two inlets

Would like to run hose heater all the daytime and have the possiablity to turn on the gas heater for help?
how do I get the best HEAT out of the gas heater?
someone told me I had to slow the water down? by bypassing the heater? sound like this would just mix hot water with cold? I will check tonight on my heater brand and size.
Snake
SNAKEBIT
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 4-9' deep
hayward sand filter and pump
diving board and slide

Home made pool heater

Postby SNAKEBIT » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 17:38

anybody on where to plumb in?
was thinking of after the heater in the return line to the pool?
tee in the line go to the hose heater
between tees install valve to slow return water and force it up the hose to the roof
tee for the return hose heater line

line from gas heater to pool would have:
tee going to hose heater
valve to pressurize hose heater
tee for return hose heater water
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Home made pool heater

Postby Me... » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:23

Typically you would send filtered water to a Solar Heater or Heat Pump first, then have it return into a gas heater. Solar set at maybe 85 degrees and the gas heater set at something like 83 degrees. The idea is that if the cheap heat source can't maintain the temperature you want, the gas heater will kick in to help. Also have multiple heater running during a heating session.
emoliver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Easy Set: Small above ground pool, 8' by 30". Holds 639 gallons. Pump came with pool, moves 530 gal/hour. Diameter of tubing is approx 1.25".

Home made pool heater

Postby emoliver » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:37

I have been reading through the posts, but would love for someone to reply with the basic details for making my own pipe-based solar heater. I work from home and I am a mom of an 18-month old and it's hard to find the time to sift through the posts for what I need. So I'll shut up, give the details and hope for a great reply with a great, basic set-up that will warm up our pool. Would love to see some pictures too.

Specs: Intex Above Ground Easy Set 8' x 30" pool, so it's small and hopefully easy to warm up. Holds 639 gallons. Using the pump that came with it, pumps 530 gal/hr and the tubing that connects is approx 1.25" in diameter.

Last summer the pool just never got quite warm enough using a solar blanket. Top layer was good, bottom was too cold for my son to enjoy it. Don't have the funds to buy anything to heat it and want to try making a solar pipe heater. I plan on keeping the pipes on the ground, happy to mount to a small plywood piece or something so I can tilt it to face the sun throughout the day, etc.

I appreciate the help very much! And don't doubt me just b/c I'm a chick...in the past I've worked as a bike mechanic, computer technician...so I'm good with tools and details. But, I'm not creative enough to get this going on my own.

Thanks!!
em
emoliver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Easy Set: Small above ground pool, 8' by 30". Holds 639 gallons. Pump came with pool, moves 530 gal/hour. Diameter of tubing is approx 1.25".

Home made pool heater

Postby emoliver » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 15:23

Me again.

So I've continued to research even though time is tight. I've thought to run the regular line that takes water from the pool to the pump. Then, from the pump after it's filtered I would connect some irrigation hose that's flattened in a spiral and that will feed the pool.

One store has 1" tubing, 100' long. How do I know my pump is strong enough to push water through that length?

Also, most people seem to be using 1/2" or 3/4" tubing, is 1" too much? Do I need the smaller diameter so the transfer of heat is better from the tubing to the water?

If I go with tubing that's smaller in diameter than the current tubing for the pump, how does that impact the pump and movement of water? Could I damage the pump?

So many questions.....I'll continue to research but hope someone posts a reply soon.

Thanks!

em

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”