home made pool heater

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
SNAKEBIT
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 4-9' deep
hayward sand filter and pump
diving board and slide

Home made pool heater

Postby SNAKEBIT » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 18:21

Ok I have 250' of 3/4" black hose on my roof now. I used it to fill the pool warm up the well water on its way to the pool. now I want to cut into the line BUT WHERE?
inground
POOL: 18 x 38
depth 3' - 9'
pump with 1-1/2" pipe goes to
sand filter to 1-1/2" to
heater 2" in & out reduced to 1-1/2" to
pool two inlets

Would like to run hose heater all the daytime and have the possiablity to turn on the gas heater for help?
how do I get the best HEAT out of the gas heater?
someone told me I had to slow the water down? by bypassing the heater? sound like this would just mix hot water with cold? I will check tonight on my heater brand and size.
Snake

SNAKEBIT
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 4-9' deep
hayward sand filter and pump
diving board and slide

Home made pool heater

Postby SNAKEBIT » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 17:38

anybody on where to plumb in?
was thinking of after the heater in the return line to the pool?
tee in the line go to the hose heater
between tees install valve to slow return water and force it up the hose to the roof
tee for the return hose heater line

line from gas heater to pool would have:
tee going to hose heater
valve to pressurize hose heater
tee for return hose heater water
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Home made pool heater

Postby Me... » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:23

Typically you would send filtered water to a Solar Heater or Heat Pump first, then have it return into a gas heater. Solar set at maybe 85 degrees and the gas heater set at something like 83 degrees. The idea is that if the cheap heat source can't maintain the temperature you want, the gas heater will kick in to help. Also have multiple heater running during a heating session.
emoliver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Easy Set: Small above ground pool, 8' by 30". Holds 639 gallons. Pump came with pool, moves 530 gal/hour. Diameter of tubing is approx 1.25".

Home made pool heater

Postby emoliver » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:37

I have been reading through the posts, but would love for someone to reply with the basic details for making my own pipe-based solar heater. I work from home and I am a mom of an 18-month old and it's hard to find the time to sift through the posts for what I need. So I'll shut up, give the details and hope for a great reply with a great, basic set-up that will warm up our pool. Would love to see some pictures too.

Specs: Intex Above Ground Easy Set 8' x 30" pool, so it's small and hopefully easy to warm up. Holds 639 gallons. Using the pump that came with it, pumps 530 gal/hr and the tubing that connects is approx 1.25" in diameter.

Last summer the pool just never got quite warm enough using a solar blanket. Top layer was good, bottom was too cold for my son to enjoy it. Don't have the funds to buy anything to heat it and want to try making a solar pipe heater. I plan on keeping the pipes on the ground, happy to mount to a small plywood piece or something so I can tilt it to face the sun throughout the day, etc.

I appreciate the help very much! And don't doubt me just b/c I'm a chick...in the past I've worked as a bike mechanic, computer technician...so I'm good with tools and details. But, I'm not creative enough to get this going on my own.

Thanks!!
em
emoliver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex Easy Set: Small above ground pool, 8' by 30". Holds 639 gallons. Pump came with pool, moves 530 gal/hour. Diameter of tubing is approx 1.25".

Home made pool heater

Postby emoliver » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 15:23

Me again.

So I've continued to research even though time is tight. I've thought to run the regular line that takes water from the pool to the pump. Then, from the pump after it's filtered I would connect some irrigation hose that's flattened in a spiral and that will feed the pool.

One store has 1" tubing, 100' long. How do I know my pump is strong enough to push water through that length?

Also, most people seem to be using 1/2" or 3/4" tubing, is 1" too much? Do I need the smaller diameter so the transfer of heat is better from the tubing to the water?

If I go with tubing that's smaller in diameter than the current tubing for the pump, how does that impact the pump and movement of water? Could I damage the pump?

So many questions.....I'll continue to research but hope someone posts a reply soon.

Thanks!

em
handySteve

Home made pool heater

Postby handySteve » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 23:22

Hello,
It is important not to reduce the size of the hose to the point that it overworks the pump.
I just put a home made pool heater on the roof of my shed. It is holding 250’ of 1/2” black tubing in a 4’x4’ panel (using an X of wood over the top of it to keep everything in place). I used 2 of them for my 25’ round pool and plan on adding 2 more. It is about 6’ higher than my pool and I used a 1” line to supply the 2 panels of 1/2” line.

To get the water moving I suggest using a large Tee in the shape of a Y after the filter that is the same size as the current line. Continue to run the main water line to the pool using the straight section of the Y connecter with no obstructions. My heater is 6’ higher than the pool and I have no trouble with water flow to the heater with this method (after the system is primed). It is partly because I have an eyeball type diverter in the pool that causes a little back pressure in the line. The second end of the Y connector should be reduced to at least ¾ or ½ with a shut off ball valve of the smaller size just before the black pipe so that it can be shut off when you do not want it to run. If you are laying the hose at the same level as the pool you will defiantly get enough pressure to make the water run through it. If not, put another valve on the main line before the water returns to the pool and close it slightly (not all the way). I suggest starting with 200 feet of 1/2 “ tubing at first and add to it if needed. I just ran the return end over the side of the pool using a couple of 90 degree push on connectors, but if you have a child you could run it back into the skimmer to avoid scalding anyone. Only do that if you have a continuous flow back into the pool or you will overheat the pump. I used a frame of 2x2 lumber on a light plywood backing 4' square. All if it is painted with exterior primer and FLAT BLACK paint. Get it up off of the ground at least 2” so that the ground does not steal any of the heat.

Tips
– When connecting the PVC parts make the sections at least 3” long so that they will bottom out in the other pieces.
-put clear plastic over the top to help hold in the heat after the heater is working

Parts list - from hardware store unless noted otherwise.
1/2” or 3/4” black tubing (at least 200’) I prefer 1/2 because it is more flexible so that is what I will refer to for the rest of this
Y connecter ** (same size as current pipe – it’s a T in the shape of a Y in case you have not seen one before) Water flow will start at the bottom of the Y.
2 threaded hose connectors (from pool supply store) **
2 Threaded inserts for Y connector **
1 short pool hose like the existing hose & clamps (from pool supply store) **
Reducer for Y to make one output 1/2”
Short section of 1/2” PVC to help connect parts
1/2” Female thread to insert into valve
PVC cleaner & PVC cement (only need a little but make sure it is the correct type or universal cement)
Teflon tape
Push on fitting for end of 1/2“ pipe with male threads that will fit into the female thread after the ball valve
Push on connector to connect the sections of hose
Sheet of plywood 4’x4’ and 4 pieces of 2”x2”x4’
Exterior Primer
FLAT black exterior paint (I primed and painted the wood first)
Good music and an ice cold drink

I heard 100’ fits in a 3’ square and 200’ fits in a 4’ square.

** designates same size parts
stoney 417

Home made pool heater

Postby stoney 417 » Tue 23 Jun, 2009 21:08

i have been thinking of this for awhile where i work i can get black 55 gal .drums plastic .useing 2 or3 inline or running coils of black pipe inside with or without waterin the drums useing a spear pump to get the water to go through would this work . i have also heard of useing copper pipe and a fire pit to heat the water thank for the help
gadget man

home made pool heater

Postby gadget man » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 23:46

colin wrote:Can anyone give suggestions to a home made pool heater using black pipe on a roof. What size pipe should I use to maintain proper pressure and not to over work my pump? Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
130mechanic

home made pool heater

Postby 130mechanic » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 05:47

I have built a redneck solar heater recently. I used 200 ft of 1/2 inch black polyethylene tubing (water pipe for sprinklers). I layed them flat in coils and coupled them together on an old door that I had painted flat black. Through various fittings I adapted the piping up to the size of my pool filter pump outlet hose. It is about 1 1/8 inches. I just cut into the outlet hose and spliced the heater between the pump and the pool with some hose clamps. The heater works great, but the flow of water has been significantly decreased. I have decided that maybe another pump between the heater and the pool might be the answer.
spyder

home made pool heater

Postby spyder » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 19:47

I have 1000 feet of 1" poly 75psi (cheap stuff) in two 500 foot coils lying directly on roof, held in place directly with clips that are tarred and nailed. Used pressure treated ballusters, they are slighty taller than the pipe to hold it up there. That length give me about 24000 btu per hour of heat. I put up 4 gallons imp per minute using a small booster pump, main pump is too small for my type of pool. The things to watch out for are size of pipe vs water speed, faster the water, more drag, or in the trade referred to as head which easy language is anything that impedes flow. With 1", I could get up to 10 gpm without too much drag, after that, hard on pump, since a normal pool pump puts out 6000+ gallons and hour, trying to drive that much through a small pipe is hard on the pump. A diverter valve is required to backup the pressure just enough to get the flow required. This valve is installed after the tee for the roof, as the roof had height, the water depending on head of installation may have enough to get there on its own, but usually a small restriction is all that is required. If one had help, an 8 X 8 square mounted with the pipe in a circle is the best way, can also be mounted off the shingles, so they don't rot. You can do this on ground as well, and you can add as many as you need. Just remember don't let the flow get too high. If you have questions please send along to spyder1@cogeco.ca
Roy Berry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground, vinyl, saltwater, solar heating units

Home made pool heater

Postby Roy Berry » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:37

I made my own solar heating unit that gives me a couple of extra months each year, I am in south Ga. Regular flexible black sprinkler piping that comes in 500 foot sections was used on the top of my tin shed, using 1 and one half inch pvc pipe to branch the section out to six units. this setup flow is regulated with a bypass valve before the filter inlet so that flow can be regulated for the season, with saltwater freezing is less of a problem, just donot bury the pipe unless you insulate it inside a ie. 6 inch pipe, heat loss to the ground. Becareful this will increase you CL loss due to heatup in the piping so you will have to increase Cl to the pool to makeup for loss. Good Luck.
Isaiah
I'm new here
I'm new here

Home made pool heater

Postby Isaiah » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:37

Great job!
My neighbor had something similar many years ago. Instead of the barrel, they used a small charcoal grill. It was easier to keep adding fuel without interupting the heating, they could place a hood over it as well to increase the heat.

The only thing different, the coil was plumbed in directly to the retun line right into the pool. That way, they could slide the small grill in and out as needed when heating. Since the flow rate was higher, the return water wasn't super hot entering the pool- so you could swim with it heating.
hel a ve

home made pool heater

Postby hel a ve » Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:54

I hope someone can help me out. During the past spring I was watching my local PBS station during "Green Week". The programme was about a competition of various university designs for green living in D.C.. One team, I don't remember which, had a solar fence constructed of wood framing and vertical black PVC pipe was used for the privacy section instead of 1x6's. This design was not only functional but pleasing to the eye. I have not been able to find a site covering this competition, hopefully with pic's so I could copy the idea. Right now all I have is an image stored in my brain and at my age the it is getting fuzzier by the day.
pettyrules

home made pool heater

Postby pettyrules » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 21:26

I built a solar heating system 3 years ago and it works just fine. I cut into the 1 1/2" LINE EXITING THE PUMP AND TEED OFF A 1" WHITE PVC LINE TO THE METAL ROOF OF AN ADJOINING SHED. HERE IT BRANCHES OFF INTO 7 RUNS OF 1/2" BLACK POLYETHYLENE TUBING, EACH RUN WITH 2 COILS OF 100' TUBING. THAT'S A TOTAL OF 1400' OF BLACK TUBING. THE WATER IS THEN COLLECTED BACK INTO 1" PVC TUBING AND RETURNED TO THE FILTER EXIT LINE TO BE SENT TO THE POOL. IN BETWEEN THE TWO TEES IS A BALL VALVE WHICH I CAN CLOSE PART WAY TO FORCE THE UNHEATED WATER INTO THE SOLAR SYSTEM, WITHOUT DRIVING THE PUMP PRESSURE UP VERY MUCH. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FURTHER INFO, CONTACT ME AND I CAN PUT TOGETHER A DRAWING FOR YOU.

king3449@aol.com
woodchuck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' ag 48" high

home made pool heater

Postby woodchuck » Fri 28 May, 2010 08:22

I like the idea of a car radiator placed over my old grill. What size pump would be strong and slow enough to push the water through the radiator? Will it need an air relief installed somewhere along the line? Any thoughts on this rig?

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”