Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
lirel

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby lirel » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 13:26

flcowgirl41 wrote:my brothers in-laws had a wood burning pool heater down in the keys..florida...they loved it...trying now to find a 50 gal barrel to make my own..any ideas...??

Hi
I built one last week!
You Need
1x Barrel, with lid
!x coil of small bore copper central heating pipe
2x hinges
1x drill
1x Jigsaw with metal cutting blade
1x small pond pump
2x meter reinforced plastic pipe
1.5 mtr steel bar app 8mm dia
1 small sheet of steel mesh, Expamet will do

Cut 16in long x 10in high section out of lowest part of drum.
refit this panel with the hinges to create a door (this is where the fire will be so keep it as low as possible on the drum)
drill 4 x holes 8in from the top of the drum,cut rod into two pieces and pass them through the drum to act as a support for the steel mesh to lay on.
coil your copper pipe neatly on the mesh passing the two ends of the pipe through two more holes you will have to drill in the drum.
Connect the pipes to hoses.
connect the pond pump to any end of the hoses
drop the pump and the remaining end into the pool
light a fire (best done in a sturdy tin) inside the bottom of the drum.
turn on pond pump and Bob's your uncle!
Adjust the position of the door and lid to create a draw.
This sound a bit Heath Robinson but trust me,AlthoughI am an Engineer this was all done with no measurements or plans and it works.
One word of warning!!! Turn on your pond pump to test it first, DO NOT turn it on after the fire has been lit, the water ,initialy, is as hot as any kettle. I found this out the hard way!!!!
Please be aware also there will be smoke, I know this is obvious but may be a pain to some,
please excuse the use of Metric and Imperial, I am old and English GOOD LUCK

AR

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby AR » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 21:05

I am a boiler technician. I spent 2 years developing such an idea. The first year, it worked, but had a couple design issues. The second year however, much better. I live in the NE. I opened my pool may 1. It was 54 *F. In 2 days-it was 85* F. Email me.

Pool User wrote:Has anyone designed a way to heat your pool with wood? Some that lives in our town heats their pool with a homemade wood burning system. Has anyone done this and if so, how did you make it? My husband would like to make one to heat our pool.

Thanks
mndfuller

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby mndfuller » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 14:56

Could you provide me with details? I'm in Iowa. Mndfuller@msn.com
bpb

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby bpb » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 13:50

[quote="AR"]I am a boiler technician. I spent 2 years developing such an idea. The first year, it worked, but had a couple design issues. The second year however, much better. I live in the NE. I opened my pool may 1. It was 54 *F. In 2 days-it was 85* F. Email me.[quote]

AR I live in NE also and am looking for adeas to set this type of system up can you send my your design and if possible build plan and parts needed? Thanks. leonard26@aol.com
blue skinned scottishman

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby blue skinned scottishman » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 13:22

Hi, as my user name suggest I am a blue skinned scottish man in dire need of some heat in my pool, been looking at your submission and would like to try it myself so whats the chance of sending me some instructions or even a plan ...anything ...HELP!!!!!
My Clan and I would be forever in your debt.
rachelandthomas@ntlworld.com

AR wrote:I am a boiler technician. I spent 2 years developing such an idea. The first year, it worked, but had a couple design issues. The second year however, much better. I live in the NE. I opened my pool may 1. It was 54 *F. In 2 days-it was 85* F. Email me.

Pool User wrote:Has anyone designed a way to heat your pool with wood? Some that lives in our town heats their pool with a homemade wood burning system. Has anyone done this and if so, how did you make it? My husband would like to make one to heat our pool.

Thanks
happy

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby happy » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:40

Sounds like a neat idea using a 50 Gal Barrel. My brother in-law just bought a wood fired pool heater, he absolutelt loves it, its looks really nice!. check out woodstovepools
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:52

warmwatersolutions.com
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Guest » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 09:43

AR wrote:I am a boiler technician. I spent 2 years developing such an idea. The first year, it worked, but had a couple design issues. The second year however, much better. I live in the NE. I opened my pool may 1. It was 54 *F. In 2 days-it was 85* F. Email me.

Thanks

do you sell copies of your heater?my home is in arizona.thank you mike :wave: :wave:
mbvosika

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby mbvosika » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 09:47

Thanks

do you sell cpoies of your heater?my home is in arizona.thank you mike :wave:
indoor pool guy

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby indoor pool guy » Tue 29 Dec, 2009 01:09

I am building a outdoor woodstove water heater for a pool in NH.It is 19000 gal and my 300,000 btu heater is getting $$$$$$$$ expensive. Frank

Thanks

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Guest » Tue 26 Jan, 2010 15:20

bpb wrote:

AR I live in NE also and am looking for adeas to set this type of system up can you send my your design and if possible build plan and parts needed? Thanks. leonard26@aol.com

Would you send me your plans for wood heat. We have a hardyheater.jbeauty47@yahoo.com
SHADOWBENNY26

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby SHADOWBENNY26 » Tue 26 Jan, 2010 21:11

Hi Guys

I found a company that is manufacturing Wood Stove Pool Heaters in Canada. The company is WSP and the website is woodstovepools.com

I was speaking with them and I am sold. These guys have it figured out!
Also very easy to deal with!

Cheers
Dave

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Guest » Wed 12 May, 2010 18:32

don't use copper lines..stick with your first idea..316 stainless steel is best for corrosion protection due to pool chemistry
Piper1076

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Piper1076 » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 20:48

Thanks

AR, I would love to get a copy of this! Please e-mail me at piper110@gmail.com We could use as much help as we can get lol. Thanks again!
Wayne K

Wood Stove Pool Heaters

Postby Wayne K » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 15:50

From everything I have read, one needs to be very careful when using copper tubing with chlorinated water. The chemical reaction between the two can actually become toxic water. If I am wrong, I'd love to hear some replies.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”