Heat Pump..opinion on Gulf Stream or Aqua Cal?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
wimbushmechanical
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wimbushmechanical » Fri 08 Mar, 2013 22:47

I have never worked on a Gulfstream, but have worked on Aqua-cal so I cannot give my two cents as a comparison, but after a life time as a service tech I gotta throw in a few thoughts...

Just because a company has been around for 30 years doesnt make it better. If you are comparing them against a brand new unproven product then I agree but a 6 year old company can be just as good as a dinosaur, and sometimes better.
Claims about peformance are always exagerations created by advertising salespeople, whether we are looking at anti-aging creams, cars or pool heaters.
Fraud is another story altogether. Not too many people will risk fraud to sell a pool heater.

If you are spending your hard earned money, in my neck of the woods, I always recommend Jandy. There products are competitive and the warranty outshines everyone else.

Postby Guest » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 10:34

Gulfstream has never used a copper heat exchanger. Please disregard much of the nonsense in these posts. I know some of the independent posts on this thread are coming from dealers with an agenda. GulfStream and AquCal make excellent performing and quiet units. Our factory is 10,000 sq ft. You will not go wrong with either.
Aaron Fields
Owner - GulfStream
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 19:17

I don't have any experience with Gulfstream, but I've worked on several AquaCals. I've never seen anything wrong on an AquaCal that wasn't normal wear and tear, or the result of a good Florida lightning strike. Whatever unit you choose, I would spend the $$ on good surge protection.

-CG
billp

Postby billp » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 18:02

I am also looking at a heater and also live in Florida. I think the deciding factor is the warrantee which blows away any other heat pump. I believe Gulf stream is the way I will myself go. Plus they are made in Florida and have one of the lowest decibel noise factors of the fan.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 22:17

It's been 5 years since the last post on this "best heat pump" subject ... any new info ??
TerryD

Re: Heat Pump..opinion on Gulf Stream or Aqua Cal?

Postby TerryD » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 16:35

Clearly these were mostly planted reviews, so the information is mostly biased and not experience based. The "my husband is very consumer savvy" "plants" for AquaCal seem to push the hardest with the nearly slanderous propaganda line, so that made up my mind... I'm buying the Gulf Stream. Sleazy b@st@rds never get my business if I can help it. Thank you!
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:19

Yeah Terry

That post on the first page really is more an advertising push than a real opinion.

Thanks for pointing it out
Deb in Venice

Postby Deb in Venice » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 08:44

You know why the Gulfstream is quiet?
It never works.....
Denise

Postby Denise » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 18:06

Looking to purchase a new pool heat pump. Looked at Aqua cal, Gulf Stream, Aquatherm and Jacuzzi. This is Sept. 2017. Anyone have any more opinions REGARDING aquacal or gulfstream?
exumaman

Postby exumaman » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:01

Also looking into a replacement pool heater. Currently have a Gulfstream Heat Pump that is 13 years old (2004 HI model). Planning on replacing with a new HI125 model. Haven't really had any problems with the 13 year old until this fall. It's just lived far beyond it's life. Have looked at many other brands but have not seen any that would make me change, as yet.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:21

I have a feeling I am going to be wasting my time but here goes anyway.
Look at the new inverter heat pumps, way more efficient as they can vary their speed to suit rather than full on, full off so saving the owner a lot over the years.
Ralph

Postby Ralph » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 16:37

I have a 6 year hold Gulf stream 110,000 BTU pool heater.. It hasn't been very reliable especially for the little amount of time that we actually use it that the compressor just died on...
A few years ago it had a free-on leak and a switch needed replacement. That was repaired under warranty

Yesterday I found out the compressor is kaput!! and it is not under warranty ... Now I understand why Gulf Stream is the only company with a 5 year warranty where must of the others are either 7 or 10!

Doing my shopping right now for a complete new heater and it will not be another Gulf Stream. It will be either Aqua Cal or Pentair

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”