Remove solar cover without reel

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
jayjer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jayjer » Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:37

I have a 24' above ground pool. Removing the solar cover is a pain, and getting it back on is even worse. Quite often, I'm doing this at night after I've done chemicals and waited for them to mix into the water. By then it's dark and the mosquitoes are chomping! I don't like the idea of solar reels or brackets, since they require drilling into the pool frame. Has anyone found another way to easily take off and put on a solar cover, preferably one that requires only one person. Thanks!

dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 17:16

Years later.
I too didn't want to use a roller for the pool cover. It is easy to take off with two people. One person on each side. Pull about 3 feet at a time and just fold each 3 foot section on top of the previous one. I can do this by myself but I have to keep going back and forth to either side.
The easiest way to put the cover back on is to get in the pool and pull it along. I can also do it without getting in the water by folding the leading edge in at the two corners to make an arrow shape. It make a stiffer cover that can be pulled.
MikeThePoolman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeThePoolman » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:00

I bought a bunch of inexpensive hula hoops and $25 in zip ties from Lowes and made my own solar rings.
There is some initial labor cutting circles out of the existing solar cover and zip tying them to the hula hoops but once completed they are highly functional: easy to remove, easy to replace and keep the heat in at night.

One big unforeseen benefit: because the hula hoops are stiff you can stack them upright and they take up less room!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”