Solar heater panel on roof possible?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
harrycel
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby harrycel » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 14:30

A friend has given me a very large solar panel for my above ground pool. I have decided to run it independantly from my filter using its own 1hp pool pump that I had extra. (my space where my filter was is limited and it couldn't be installed on that end of the pool)
My problem is that because my deck goes 75% around my pool my space to put such a large object is limited. I'm not too fond of just dumping it on the grass. I have a cabana right next to the pool with about a 10 foot hight. Would it be possible to place the solar panel on top of the cabana? Would a 1hp pump be able to pump water that high?

picasam
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 gunite

Postby picasam » Sat 02 May, 2009 14:15

I'm not sure what kind of solar panel you have. I have been doing some searching because I want to install a solar panel for my pool. My understand is that most of them go on the house's roof or pool cabana.
I'm pretty sure the pump will be able to pump the water there. I will try for sure... nothing to loose.
newpool1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground roughly five and a half feet in height and a diameter of 21 ft obviously round. 10000 gallons. Sand filter.

Postby newpool1 » Mon 04 May, 2009 16:11

Just because the solar panel is up high it dosent mean the pump / pipework has to be. Extend the wiring ?
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 04 May, 2009 16:54

Before you go too far post the size of the pool and the sq.ft. surface area of the panel. Also in/out on the panel and distances/heights etc. Also the pump model. Could be the pump will simply blow up the panel one day. Another consideration is that one panel might not heat the pool much at all and the cost of installation plus cost of running the pump might be entirely wasteful.

Did it come with an air vent up top to purge air on startup and relieve vacuum on shutdown?
Heynow999
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Heynow999 » Sun 24 May, 2009 07:43

a one HP pump will be plenty to pump water through one panel, probably too much. After the water is pumped up, it then creates a syphon that pulls more water up as the water falls. Think of it like a rope over a pulley or a conveyer belt. As mentioned, one panel will not do much.
ets80
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ets80 » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 20:28

From our experience on installing new roofs, we generally remove any concogtion that the present and/or previous homeowner has built to heat the pool water. 99% of the time they say it does not generate enough heated water to heat up a large pool.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”