Hayward H300 Millivolt heater stopped heating

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Chris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Chris » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 22:43

Hey Ijust started up the pool filter system and cannot get the heater back up and heating. I have the pilot lit and the heater was heating for about 2 minutes after I fired it up. Then it stopped heating. The pilot remains lit. I can turn the temp. switch to maximum and this thing will not fire back up. Any suggestions??

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:03

Chris wrote:Hey Ijust started up the pool filter system and cannot get the heater back up and heating. I have the pilot lit and the heater was heating for about 2 minutes after I fired it up. Then it stopped heating. The pilot remains lit. I can turn the temp. switch to maximum and this thing will not fire back up. Any suggestions??

Hi,

Make sure the filter is clean. Low flow will shut off the heater.
Chris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Chris » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 07:25

The filter is clean and flow is very strong. Any other suggestions?
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 08:06

Make sure all the electrical connections are clean and tight. Millivolt heaters run on only 3/4 of a volt and its very easy to lose a lot of that on a dirty connection. Lose too much and the main gas valve will not have enough juice to open.
cporto

Postby cporto » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 18:22

Hey Guys:

Mine will fire only after turning power off at breaker, shutting off propane, and then turning propane on and turning on power from breaker. Any ideas?
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 06 Oct, 2009 20:26

cporto wrote:Hey Guys:

Mine will fire only after turning power off at breaker, shutting off propane, and then turning propane on and turning on power from breaker. Any ideas?

Make? Model?

Edit: Sorry, I need to read titles more carefully
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Wed 07 Oct, 2009 09:32

The hayward H series millivolt heaters are the worst pool product ever created. They barely even worked when they were new. You should get rid of it and save yourself a million future headaches. The terminals corode very quickly...that is usually the soure of the problem with these heaters. Raypak digitals are the best/most reliable heater. Sta-rites are also good but not near salt water (ocean/bay)
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pool Clown » Wed 07 Oct, 2009 17:44

patrickspools wrote: Raypak digitals are the best/most reliable heater. Sta-rites are also good but not near salt water (ocean/bay)

+1 :thumbup:

Have a couple on the coast. They seem to be doing ok. What have you been experiencing?
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:11

The fan motor gets killed by the salt air. My whole company operates pretty close to the water. I have plenty of StaRites that are fine but we've had 3 have the fan motor die. You don't want to know how much it is to replace.

The Raypaks seem almost bullet proof. They have very few issues even right on the ocean. The only thing I've had fail with one of those in the past 5 years is the digital display went out in one....but the heater stilll works fine. Its just hard to figure out what is going on with it.

On the other side of the story, I have probably 30-40 hayward millivolt H series and I don't think any of them will actualy just fire up without me getting in there and doing at least a little fiddling
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 00:02

Believe me i know how much they are. When i tell the owner, i tend to take a step back, so i don't get any shrapnel.

I had a rash of bad blowers about a year ago i think, maybe two. Age...
You may have gotten a couple yourself, otherwise all yours may have gone out if it was sea air. ?
Thought maybe it was the cast iron gas pipe they use, rusting. Good news though, they have a cool one piece sweep gas line they are using now. I looks sharp.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 00:07

patrickspools wrote: The only thing I've had fail with one of those in the past 5 years is the digital display went out in one....but the heater stilll works fine. Its just hard to figure out what is going on with it.

Do you mean troubleshooting Raypaks in general? Or is it this unit that has a problem? Or (duh) you can't see the display anymore?

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”