Pool Heater Banging

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
hawkeye
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18X26 L Salt water generator, 11 years old

Pool Heater Banging

Postby hawkeye » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 11:38

Hello everyone, first post on this site hope someone can help me! I have a 10 or 11 year old Hayward H300 H series gas pool heater. This heater has worked perfectly until yesterday. It has started making loud banging, chunking noises. Kind of like your 64 chevy did when the motor overheated and the radiator made that chunking noise. When we first heard the noise I shut the pump off, the heater quit and made a few more noises. I then backwashed and started the pump again, heater started, couple of clunks and then fine. 10 minutes later it started banging again. I had visions of a new Canadian space rocket taking off, so I shut everything down, and here I sit scratching my head. I'm wondering if it could be a flow valve or a heat regulator, as it seems that the heater may be overheating. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as with the weather we've been having here in Manitoba, the solar panels are not cutting it. Thanks in advance, Hawkeye.

superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Pool Heater Banging

Postby superdoopie » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 19:35

This could be a malfunctioning internal bypass, usually a spring that rusts away. Also could be that the heat exchanger is calcified. If you can take one of the headers off and look into the exchanger tubes you can see this. I've seen heaters actually jump around on the pad when this is the case!

I've also seen/heard this occur when the heater is wet. Like after a heavy rain. Or if the heater cabinet is cold, in the spring or fall.
hawkeye
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18X26 L Salt water generator, 11 years old

Pool Heater Banging

Postby hawkeye » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 08:34

I'll try and look into opening one of the headers. Calcium may be a culprit as our water is very hard. Will let you know what I find. Thanks.
Hayward

Re: Pool Heater Banging

Postby Hayward » Sun 29 Oct, 2017 09:16

hawkeye wrote:Hello everyone, first post on this site hope someone can help me! I have a 10 or 11 year old Hayward H300 H series gas pool heater. This heater has worked perfectly until yesterday. It has started making loud banging, chunking noises. Kind of like your 64 chevy did when the motor overheated and the radiator made that chunking noise. When we first heard the noise I shut the pump off, the heater quit and made a few more noises. I then backwashed and started the pump again, heater started, couple of clunks and then fine. 10 minutes later it started banging again. I had visions of a new Canadian space rocket taking off, so I shut everything down, and here I sit scratching my head. I'm wondering if it could be a flow valve or a heat regulator, as it seems that the heater may be overheating. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as with the weather we've been having here in Manitoba, the solar panels are not cutting it. Thanks in advance, Hawkeye.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”