Solar System

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
gacosta

Solar System

Postby gacosta » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 20:40

Hello,

I live in Murrieta, Ca and i am going to have a pool installed in my new home. I am thinking about having a solar system installed on the roof...do they really work? How long does it extend the pool usage? Are there any problems with them? How much do they cost (pool is approx 18x33, 3 and 6 ft deep)? some pool guys have told me they are a waste of money.....they said to buy a solar blanket. Any info would be appreciated!

George

Davegvg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Solar System

Postby Davegvg » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 20:31

Its the best investment you will make in terms of actually using your pool

I swim "off the roof" from April till November.

Dave
Davegvg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Solar System

Postby Davegvg » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 10:36

Any pool guy making that claim about solar in So cal is an uneducated clown. It adds MONTHS to yor season and makes the season you do get a lot more enjoyable.

For example my pool was 78 yesterday and my neighbors is 67!

Solar blankets really work well at holding in heat and work poorly at adding it- nowhere near what panels will do not even close.

Sounds like youll have about 600 square feet of pool surface an optimum setup per pump is 12 panels,
You could go with 12 4x12's if you have the space and that will get you nearly 100% coverage.

It will rock.

Dave
Only Pool Heating

Solar System

Postby Only Pool Heating » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 17:06

All solar panels work very well, in fact there is very little difference in the end result temperature to your pool between the best overall " btu " producing panel and the least btu producing panel assuming you have the same square footage of surface collector area.

I realize this may sound complicated but it is important to not compare exterior dimensions of panels.

Some manufacturers have panel dimensions that have larger exterior dimensions that are 5 to 12 % smaller when you compare the actual collector ( the area that absorbs the suns heat ) surface area. A 4 x 12 panel may appear to be 48 sq ft but actually only have 45 sq ft of collector surface area. This times 8 or 10 panels can equal or exceed an entire panel, 10 to 15 % or more overall performance.

The greatest differences are truly in three different categories.

1) The manufacturer and the GENUINE warranty. Get the actual warranty from the manufacturer and review it for exclusions and exceptions.

2) The proven track record and lifespan. How long has it been around and can it withstand your weather climate year after year.

3 ) Who are you actually doing business with. How long is the company in business and are they licensed and insured.

HELIOCOL is the brand I and my 21 years of poolheating experience recommend. Fafco among others are also great panels regarding performance, lifespan but not for wind resistance or roof friendliness.

Pool heating

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”