Pool Heater Not Lighting

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
MarkInDallas

Pool Heater Not Lighting

Postby MarkInDallas » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 18:24

Hi All,

I have a few questions about troubleshooting a pool heater. It worked last year, but won't fire now. The pilot will light and stay lit. I've turned the switch on and the external thermostat dial to "hottest".

I don't get a voltage reading when testing the two wires coming into the heater, but I do if I test them against a ground in the box.

Should the 2 wires coming into the heater (one white, one black) have consistent voltage?

Thanks,

Mark

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Pool Heater Not Lighting

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:18

You may or may not get voltage all the time at the heater. It depends on how it was wired. I've seen it both ways. You should be getting voltage at both wires. Having a white wire tells me the voltage should be 110 (one white wire) but thats not a guarantee. You may have a breaker tripped. Even if it looks ok, I would move the breaker from on to off actually push the tripper to off (not just flip it off) then set to on and try again.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pool Heater Not Lighting

Postby Guru » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 15:22

MarkInDallas wrote:Hi All,

I have a few questions about troubleshooting a pool heater. It worked last year, but won't fire now. The pilot will light and stay lit. I've turned the switch on and the external thermostat dial to "hottest".

I don't get a voltage reading when testing the two wires coming into the heater, but I do if I test them against a ground in the box.

Should the 2 wires coming into the heater (one white, one black) have consistent voltage?

Thanks,

Mark

It all depends on what kind of heater you have. If it's a millivolt heater, then the 2 wires could be low voltage. Do you know make/model?
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Pool Heater Not Lighting

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 01:03

My bad, I replied to this thread not seeing that it was 3 months old. OP has probably solved the problem by now...
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pool Heater Not Lighting

Postby Guru » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 15:09

Pool Clown wrote:My bad, I replied to this thread not seeing that it was 3 months old. OP has probably solved the problem by now...

Oh well,we tried.
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”