Effects of using copper tubing

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
bbtownman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' Above ground

Postby bbtownman » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 13:24

New to the site with a question - Can you use copper tubing when you make a wood fired heater or does the copper cause water quality issues?

Thanks!

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:22

Copper will eventually lead to copper staining in the walls and floor of your pool along with the equipment. While there are chemicals that can remove these stains, it's an added expense that can be avoidable.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:54

In practice, copper in gas heaters (in the heat exchanger) only corrode significantly when the water chemistry is out of balance, specifically when the pH is too low. Corrosion is also accelerated at higher salt or TDS levels. At normal pool levels with the pH in balance, copper is not a problem. For saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools, it is recommended to use cupro-nickel or titanium in the heat exchanger (and header).
kturner
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: new 14x31 fiberglass pool sand filter with pentair
chlorine generator model ic20.Chlorine will not
register when tested it shows salt content is good
water test showed no calcium water is very clear.
I am at a loss with this please help.

Postby kturner » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 13:30

New here and i have noticed my swg ic 20 was installed running directly to my new heater
the heater made of some titanium.I have had orange brown stains covering all walls and
steps the pool in fiberglass by the way.The only and i mean only thing that will remove
the stains is AA.I have gotten rid of them a couple of times and they come right back in
a week or less.I called the heater manufacture they say that the swg is not hooked up right
and so did pentair.Has anyone had this happen or could this be the staining problem and i show
no metals in water and my water test perfect.PLEEZE HELP THANKS.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 23:39

Unfortunately, the IC20 should NOT be installed before the heater. This is going to cause extensive corrosion and other problems down the road. Before too much damage is done to your very expensive heater, I would recommend doing some simple plumbing work, removing the IC20 cell, then place it after ALL equipment as a last stop for the water to pass through before entering the return jets. Was it a contractor that did this job? If so, you may want to call them back out to correct the issue before it's too late!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”