Heating the pool with our outdoor boiler, or propane?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28' doughboy w/ dish

Postby naturegirl » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 15:23

We're just starting to get quotes on an above ground pool and looking into our options. We know we want a heater. I have heard that we can add our pool onto our existing Central Boiler, but does anyone have experience with this? We also have a propane tank on-site, so it would be fairly easy to go with a propane heating system too. Installation costs aren't an issue with either. Is there any clear benefit to going with one system over the other? Will we be able to extend out pool season here in Ohio by going with the boiler heat?

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 17:02

not sure about installing the pool system onto your existing boiler, however it sounds as if you would need quite a bit of run going to and from the central boiler in your home. It would be much more cost effective, and sensible to go with a LP gas heater designed specifically for your swimming pool. The installation of these heaters can range from about $350-$500 depending on where they are placing it, pads, electrical, etc... The best heater for the money would be the Hayward H-Series (universal) heater

I hope this helps!
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby naturegirl » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 17:36

Well, we ordered our pool today and everyone we talked to said that the boiler was the way to go. I believe the installers exact words were, "You're insane if you choose propane over the boiler." The propane tank is about 100' away from where the pool will be, but we can apparently tie into our boiler lines directly in the basement, which is 20' away. That makes it cheaper than a propane heater. The biggest benefit that the pool installer told us was that we could greatly extend our pool season here. Lots of people have outdoor boilers in our area and she said that it's becoming very popular because we can easily maintain pool temperature at about 85F as soon as the air temp is around 50F or higher. She said that most people using their boiler can start swimming on May 1st and go until the second week of October in our area. That's huge because normal season here is more like Memorial day to Labor day.

My husband is a mechanical engineer and he's thrilled with this. I'm not exactly clear on what it the numbers mean, but the propane system we were looking at was 150,000 BTU and our boiler is 250,000 BTU.

We'll have the system set up withing the next 3 weeks, so I'll come back and let everyone know our experience.

Postby Guest » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 08:24

I just hooked up my Central Boiler to my 30K inground pool. It's working but have some problems to work out.

What kind/ Brand and size of Heat Exchanger and pump is your pool company recommending for your Outdoor furnace?

Thanks Blake
naturegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby naturegirl » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 09:18

The pool company is staying out of it, all the work will be done by our boiler contractor. When my husband called him yesterday, he said that he's actually working on the pool at his house right now.

I had to ask my husband what the specifics were and this is what he said:

"We did not discuss details of the system he would install. We are considering T-ing off of an existing .09 pump. We may install a separate circuit and pump for the pool alone. Our boiler is 250,000 BTU, I would expect that the heat exchanger would be capable of at least 100,000BTU if not 150,000BTU. The boiler contractor wants to see the pool and boiler set-up before making any decisions. He has all the parts on hand, so it will take less than a day to hook everything up."
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 21:05

Noticed you said it would take a few days to have it all hooked up. How is the boiler tie-in working out for you? This is something new to me, sounds interesting! :D
new pool

Postby new pool » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 00:57

My 30K gallon pool in CT is 89 degrees now running off my Central Boiler using a 007 pump and a 20 plate MP (Flat Plate Marine) heat exchanger. It does however suck all the energy out of my boiler at night- all the wood is gone to dust and it's 60% outside. Looking at changing to a 009 pump to slow the flow and improve recovery as well as possibly adding a second 10 plate heat exchanger just for my Spa. I did all the plumbing myself and am still working out the details as how to best use the system.

It defiantly works but I think it could be more efficient.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:25

Hey,

I am interested in your boiler project. What size is your pool and what region of the country are you in?
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
Squeakywindows

Re: Heating the pool with our outdoor boiler, or propane?

Postby Squeakywindows » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 16:27

I have a central boiler classic 2010 model
It has two pumps one to my barn and one to the house.
Our pool is 29k gallons inground
Hooked up to the house side and added taco zone 4 priority to pool
600000 btu heat exchanger. Big stainless steel thing Can't get pool to heat up past 61
Installed solar cover over pool and still nothing.
Only thing heating is the pool
Burning up my wood. Nothing
Squeakywindows

Postby Squeakywindows » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 16:33

The hookup is working great
The heat exchanger top is real hot
I was told all I need is a 300000 btu exchanger so I went bigger
Any thoughts out there why this thing just will not heat my pool
No air pockets. It's flowing heat and coming back cool in exchanger
Pump on pool is pumping and on uv filter pressure is 14psi and filter it 19 psi.
Perfect so flow is there!
Cover on pool

Temp at boiler is 165-185. And using up some wood.

I have a 2400 sq house. With radiant flooring
Heats my place up perfect and fast with few logs a day. Hmmmm any help would help
DavidBL
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DavidBL » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 16:45

Squeakywindows,
Is this a new setup or an existing setup that is not working like it has? It sounds like it is working but not getting the GPM turnover needed to heat the pool as it should. Is the pump and filter new or old? Do you have the right size pipe to get the GPM turnover needed?

DavidBL

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”