richbrou

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
frenchie 09

richbrou

Postby frenchie 09 » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 20:03

I would like to know if resin could seal a leak in my solar panel ?

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

richbrou

Postby lbridges » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 21:15

I don't know first hand but have read accounts of it working - and accounts that it did not. Worthless answer huh?

I would think you/we would first need to know the plastic material from which the panel is made, then find a glue/sealant that will bind to whatever type of plastic you have.

If you don't know the plastic type, but know the manufacturer of the panel the Florida Solar Energy Center has certification tables that lists material types for many manufacturers. The tables can be found by looking in the collector ratings hyperlink at http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/sol ... /index.htm

richbrou

Postby Guest » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:26

Thanks for your answer. I know the panel material, it is polyethylene, ans I've read that virtually no glue is sticking to this !! But I thought perhaps resin could be the answer. Another idea, is to try soaking a little peace of polyethylene in acetone, (I belive the poly... would melt and form a type of pasta) so then apply than pasta on my leak ! what do you think ??
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

richbrou

Postby lbridges » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:38

Acetone - don't know but I tried a similar thing once on a different kind of plastic and it didn't work. Your biggest problem (IMO) is that whatever you use, it will have to stand up to some pressure as the water flows through the system.

I don't think even "normal" epoxy and or resin (like for fiberglass) will work.

I have not used it, but I have read reports on RC model car/airplane sites that the Threebond product TB1743 will bond to the poly when nothing else seems to work (they claim to use it to patch poly fuel tanks so it must be tough).

Might try a local hobby shop?

Polyurethane glues might also work but you would have to have some way to clamp it all up since they tend to expand while drying. This 2nd suggestion has absolutely basis in fact, I just know that kind of glue bonds to a lot of stuff and maybe....

Good luck however it goes.
FRENCHIE 09

richbrou

Postby FRENCHIE 09 » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 13:08

I went to Sudco threebond web site, and it looks like this could be the perfect type of product, but I noticed on bottom of page, last updated 2006 !!!! On top of it, they don't say where they are, where to buy etc...

Anyway, I'll try my acetone melting poly... and see if it'll work. Other issue here (eastern Canada) freezing is about to come, so I may have to wait till next spring !!

Thanks again.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”