Common Pool Light Bulb...size, wattage, etc

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
rdonnalley

Common Pool Light Bulb...size, wattage, etc

Postby rdonnalley » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 11:25

Pool came with recent home purchase and we are new to pools.

Pool has two lights, one recently burned out. This is a large pool, likely 20+ years old (same as house).

Found wiki page on How to Change SP light bulb, but would like to have replacement bulb ready to go when I remove the light fixture.

Do I need a special bulb (from a pool store) or a typical house bulb? What wattage, more or less?

Any info appreciated!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Common Pool Light Bulb...size, wattage, etc

Postby Teapot » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:21

Forget changing the tungsten lamp and change to LED, that way you'll actually be able to afford to use them Lol.
rdonnalley

Postby rdonnalley » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:34

I might do that...though we have zero (actually negative) electric bills since we went solar in August.

But what size light bulb should I buy....are they normally spot light size or standard house bulb?? Right now it's a tad cool to go into the pool (75 degrees) to see if I can tell by looking at it from the water. Was hoping to pull the fixture and have replacement bulb ready to go. Maybe that's not going to be possible.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 16:19

Cool that you are running solar, even you can save some as your solar will receive quite a dent and I bet you would rather be running something else than a wasteful lamp.

Pool lamps usually look like a sealed beam car headlamp (obviously there maybe some in the USA that are different) they are often 300 watt lamps whereas the LED replacement is 24-30 watts and you can get colour changing ones so not just one boring colour.
rdonnalley

Postby rdonnalley » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 17:30

Pulled it out...it's a 500 watt! Will change both over to LEDs. Wasn't that big a deal to remove light and look at bulb. Thx for the advice.
rdonnalley

Postby rdonnalley » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 17:32

rdonnalley wrote:Pulled it out...it's a 500 watt! Will change both over to LEDs. Wasn't that big a deal to remove light and look at bulb. Thx for the advice.

FYI, I am in Central Mexico. The bulb is made in Mexico per markings.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 02:45

My fingers hovered above the keyboard and I nearly added 500 watt but I didn't want to sound alarmist.
I would be interested to hear how you get on and possibly a picture with the new light on.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”