High TA and low CH question

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
dwhitaker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallon in ground gunite pool, Tagelus TA40D sand filter, Century 1 hp pump.

High TA and low CH question

Postby dwhitaker » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:45

Not sure I posted this yet, but I have a question on reducing TA and increasing CH. I have a 20,000 gallon gunite pool, in ground. My TA is reading 180 ppm and my CH is reading 130 ppm. I know I can reduce TA by adding liquid acid, and increase CH by adding calcium chloride. Can I do both at the same time, or will adding acid have any effect on CH, and vice versa. According to the pool calculator, I need 2.5 gallons of acid and 18 lbs. of calcium chloride. Should I add these all at once, or over a period of days?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: High TA and low CH question

Postby Teapot » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 15:42

Hi, could I ask for the other water figures as well to get the overall picture?
Personally I would do one at a time to avoid getting into a mess. However without seeing the other water figures I wouldn't like to say any more yet.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: High TA and low CH question

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 17:51

Although adding acid is the right way to reduce TA it also reduces pH which not knowing your other numbers as Teapot says is difficult
Normally you would raise pH by aeration and then reduce it with acid, checking your TA and repeating untill your TA is at the desired level

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”