Sand getting in my pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
crzypatsfan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Sand getting in my pool

Postby crzypatsfan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 08:30

I was wondering why I would be getting sand in my pool. I have a sand filter. Am I not backwashing often enough? Once every couple of weeks.. Or do I need to replace the sand?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Sand getting in my pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:01

crzypatsfan wrote:I was wondering why I would be getting sand in my pool. I have a sand filter. Am I not backwashing often enough? Once every couple of weeks.. Or do I need to replace the sand?

Is this something new or has it always been like it?
You could have a split / broken lateral, the sand it to fine or to much in the filter
When you backwash does the sand come in then, also do you rinse after backwashing?
You only need to backwash when the filter pressure is 20% to 25% greater than the clean pressure (10psi reaches 12psi)
crzypatsfan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crzypatsfan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:08

I do not rinse after I backwash.. Should I? It only seems to do it often I have run the side suction cleaner a coue of times.. The pool will be clean for a day or 2 then I start to see sand. When I dive down to look at it, it is so fine that I can't really pick any up.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:20

crzypatsfan wrote:I do not rinse after I backwash.. should I?

Yes definitely you should.
AnonOdy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby AnonOdy » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 04:07

I have the same problem it's really annoying.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 24 Jul, 2019 16:53

It is really fine, it will pass through most filters, especially when they have an uneccessarily large pump pushing the dirt through the filter and back into the pool. Using something like Jolly gel helps but if the pump is too powerful it will just push through that as well. I have looked at the dust through a microscope, the reason you see it in the pool is the volume of it and it finds dead spots in the pool flow system to accumilate. You can scrunch up a good quality cotton towel into the skimmer and vacuum through that, it collects it very well, partially because the towel is very fine when scrunched up and partially because it slows the flow rather than forcing the dirt through.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”