Pool recovery

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Softthunderrainr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I'm looking for help on a possible pool recovery

Pool recovery

Postby Softthunderrainr » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 03:45

Hi, I'm new here... anyway to make a long story short. I just inherited my grandparents' house. It needs a lot of work but I'm determined to bring it back to the glory i remember in my childhood. Well, 20 plus years ago my grandpa had their vinyl in ground pool filled in. The patio can still be seen where the pool was. I loved this pool and I want to unfill it and restore it... my dad told me tonight that my grandpa had it filled in with trash and old tires.. I'm at a loss on what to do now. I'm not sure how to deal with the old tires.. Is it possible to recover this Pool? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool recovery

Postby Teapot » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:04

Corr, it's a long shot until you actually break ground and see what's there. Any idea what type of structure the pool was?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 05:23

Old tyres are normally shredded and granulated to make soft play areas for chidren
See how many you have to dispose of first of all
If the fill was trash then it would have to go to an appropiate land fill site
You would also need to test out whatever plumbing is left
The liner would also need to be replaced as you don't know what damage would have been done when filling it in
I thing the best solution would be to get an above ground pool and forget the existing one
Softthunderrainr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Softthunderrainr » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:28

Teapot wrote:Corr, it's a long shot until you actually break ground and see what's there. Any idea what type of structure the pool was?

I think it was a 32" by 16" ( It maybe larger i would need to measure). The dept goes from 4" to 12" it's rectangular. I believe it was a vinyl pool as If I remember the liner needed to be replaced when my grandpa decided to fill it in since my sister and I had moved away and no one was enjoying the pool. I remember how hard I cried when I was told they filled in the pool. I know we would need whole new everything since it's been 20 plus years . I'm just hoping the structure is still there and can be used.. or we can do a new pool in the same place.
Softthunderrainr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Softthunderrainr » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:35

Denniswiseman wrote:Old tyres are normally shredded and granulated to make soft play areas for chidren
See how many you have to dispose of first of all
If the fill was trash then it would have to go to an appropiate land fill site
You would also need to test out whatever plumbing is left
The liner would also need to be replaced as you don't know what damage would have been done when filling it in
I thing the best solution would be to get an above ground pool and forget the existing one

My dad says the same thing about the above ground pool, but I have to admit I want that pool or one like it in the same place as it was a part of my childhood and I want the kids in my family to enjoy the same.. You know what I mean? I just don't know of it can be saved it even replaced.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:54

I am sure you mean feet not inches for the depth? It's a big pool so have you got a budget large enough? If the shell is in concrete you stand half a chance. If the shell is in bad condition, build a new, slightly more manageable sized one inside the shell.
Softthunderrainr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Softthunderrainr » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:17

Teapot wrote:I am sure you mean feet not inches for the depth? It's a big pool so have you got a budget large enough? If the shell is in concrete you stand half a chance. If the shell is in bad condition, build a new, slightly more manageable sized one inside the shell.

Yeah I did mean feet lol I'm typing on a cellphone. Yeah it was a big pool. The house comes with a sizable piece of property. I really wish he didn't fill it up like he did.. but what is done is done. I'm going to talk to our local pool professionals.. to be honest the pool recovery probably won't happen for about 5 years while we do repairs and upgrades to the house itself. I'm just wondering if it even possible to recover or even just get a new inground pool in the same place. :D :D My dad just said "I was once told anything is fixable if you have enough money and time!" LOL I love my dad. He and my mom would have taken the place if they didn't already have a home project of their own. So if the original pool cannot be recovered I guess what I want to know is can we put a new pool in its place???
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:22

If you have a big enough budget anything..........It's a lot easier and cheaper if the shell is in bad condition, to build inside the old shell. That said guys can render coat almost anything.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”