New Fiberglass Pool Owner Questions

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DonD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Just purchasing a house with an existing in-ground fiberglass pool. I do not know which type of filter it has, the gallons/size yet, I do know it has a variable speed pump on it.

New Fiberglass Pool Owner Questions

Postby DonD » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 14:15

I am purchasing a house with a fiberglass pool. I have some experience with regular gunite pools but it has been a while.

I have not moved in yet and I do not know the total gallons or filter type yet. I do know it has a variable speed pump.

1st Question - I know the light does not work and I will need to replace it. I have replaced lights and light fixtures in other pools but do not know if the light fixtures are different in a fiberglass pool. Any help and or guidance with this would be appreciated.

2nd Question - What are the chemical challenges with a fiberglass pool and what should be my main concerns to watch out for?

3rd question - Are there any books or videos that cover the basics of fiberglass pools? I don't know how much if any they vary from gunite pools to take care of?

All advice and ideas are appreciated - Thank You!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: New Fiberglass Pool Owner Questions

Postby Teapot » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 16:54

Welcome,
1. Whilst some fittings do vary the general light niche fittings are roughly the same. If you are replacing may I suggest LED version this time. Replacements are made to fit existing niches.
2. No real chemical issues, you won't have to worry about water hardness or alkalinity as you would with gunite. That would still require a decent test kit and not dip strips.

3. So much of what is written and on you tube is wrong/out of date, stick around here and we will help.

Fantastic that you have a variable speed pump, look forward to hearing about the rest soon.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 17:00

One thing to watch out for is iron in the water as it will stain
Also be careful about draining down if you don't have a hydrostatic valve in the main drain as ground water can make it float
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 06:59

Denniswiseman wrote:One thing to watch out for is iron in the water as it will stain
Also be careful about draining down if you don't have a hydrostatic valve in the main drain as ground water can make it float

Would that be any different to gunite Dennis (iron), in fact the higher pH of the gunite wall is more likely to cause any metal to drop out of solution unlike plastic.

They aren't called boat pools for nothing! Depends on the water table locally of course. If emptying, make sure the water is ejected a good distance away though.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 Feb, 2019 11:06

Teapot wrote:
Denniswiseman wrote:One thing to watch out for is iron in the water as it will stain

Would that be any different to gunite Dennis (iron), in fact the higher pH of the gunite wall is more likely to cause any metal to drop out of solution unlike plastic.

They aren't called boat pools for nothing! Depends on the water table locally of course. If emptying, make sure the water is ejected a good distance away though.

The reason why I mentioned it is that I have suffered from both quite badly
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:25

No problem Dennis, what was the source of your iron staining?
One of my customers in the Dordogne has such soft water any iron/steel screw corrodes so easily it gave them annual problems which I had to
a: cure.
b: constantly remind them to change to stainless steel fixings everywhere.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 06:04

Teapot wrote:No problem Dennis, what was the source of your iron staining?
One of my customers in the Dordogne has such soft water any iron/steel screw corrodes so easily it gave them annual problems which I had to
a: cure.
b: constantly remind them to change to stainless steel fixings everywhere.

No idea, it looked terrible so I did an ascorbic acid treatment and an underwater acid wash which cleared up the most of it
It was slowly coming back so another AA which cleared it all
I now reguararly dose with a sequesterant
Attachments
Stain3.jpg
Stain3.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Stain2.jpg
Stain2.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Stain1.jpg
Stain1.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 15:04

Hi Dennis, who's glass media are you using for filtration?
AA treatment just changes the form of the iron from Fe3+ to Fe2+ it just get re oxidised back to Fe3+ with the addition of an oxidiser like chlorine. Sequestrant just chelates it (binds it) so it can't stain until the chlorine breaks down the sequestrant and off you go again on the spend cycle. Sequestrant also uses up chlorine a bit quicker in order to break it down so financially a double whammy.
Better to find the source and stop it, then remove the iron from the water permanently.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 03:18

Teapot wrote:Hi Dennis, who's glass media are you using for filtration?
AA treatment just changes the form of the iron from Fe3+ to Fe2+ it just get re oxidised back to Fe3+ with the addition of an oxidiser like chlorine. Sequestrant just chelates it (binds it) so it can't stain until the chlorine breaks down the sequestrant and off you go again on the spend cycle. Sequestrant also uses up chlorine a bit quicker in order to break it down so financially a double whammy.
Better to find the source and stop it, then remove the iron from the water permanently.

No Idea who's glass and where the iron came from as I don't have iron in my system and the only other way is to do a water change and with it floating out before am reluctant to do so
The only other way is to get a large enough tarpaulin or plastic over the pool and start filling it whilst draining down thus keeping the two waters separate ( I would need it 8m x 10m )
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:30

Contrary to popular (pool industry) beliefs you can remove the iron. The glass media is a bit of a plus, although more so if it's Dryden Aqua AFM. Worth taking a look at the glass. Very regular grains like granulated sugar in green and brown glass and it could be AFM, this glass media is treated and has a higher attraction level for iron.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 15:04

Would backwashing remove it from the glass media or is there another process

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”