New Pool Problems

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Martinh
I'm new here
I'm new here

New Pool Problems

Postby Martinh » Tue 26 Feb, 2019 17:10

Hi everyone, looking for some sdvhce on a pool that’s not been maintained in about 7 years, and I have no experience with pool maintenance st all. It’s had a cover over eater fir all the time it’s not been in use, but obviously it needs cleaning.
I have been advised that it needs a ‘shock’ treatment intially and cleaning, what is the best way to achieve this. The pool is a below ground pool of approximately 7.0m x 3.8m and 1.2m deep. It has what I believe is a sand filter, and pump which work ok.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: New Pool Problems

Postby Teapot » Wed 27 Feb, 2019 11:18

Hi Martin and welcome, Your measurements in metric suggest you are somewhere non American, possibly Europe?
Shocking a pool is adding chlorine to a higher level than normal to oxidise material in the water like algae and bacteria. You do not need a product called shock!
Depending where you are would mean where to buy.
Have you a test kit for the water parameters, like free and total chlorine, pH of the water, Alkalinity of the water, hardness of the water and the most important cyanuric acid stabiliser.
A bit more information on the rest of your kit or a photo would help.
Please pop back soon and we can help with advice.
TheChieftain
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Free form pool, inground, Gunnite, PebbleTec, blue surface, 35000 gallons, Pentair equipment, raised spa, waterfeatures, airblower, DE filter, multiport valve, Backwash, negative edge, heater, booster pump, Polaris 280, Easytouch Automation system, ScreenLogic.

Re: New Pool Problems

Postby TheChieftain » Wed 27 Feb, 2019 13:21

Hi Martin, make a list of the things that need to be rapaired or replace before you can even try to clear up and sanitize the water.

Things to check:
At pool equipment (important ones):
•Filter pump.
•Filter.
•Plumbing condition at pool equipment.

Pool area:
Cracks on the pool surface.
Cracks on the water line.
Cracks on the skimmer throat.

Or you can hire a reputable pool company to come out and do an inspection of your pool equipment and pressure test the plumbing. But they will not get in the water when it is green and nasty.

Some things won’t be noticeable until the pool is drained and other things won’t be noticeable until you have power washed the pool and refilled it with fresh water. So be ready to spawns a little more after you have filled your pool with new water and your pumps and filter are circulating water.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”