Emptying Concrete Pool - How long can it sit empty?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Remington Jones
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Older concrete pool with fiberglass sides.

Emptying Concrete Pool - How long can it sit empty?

Postby Remington Jones » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:40

Question about leaving our pool empty - We're trying to resurrect a pool that hasn't been run in several years. We're not certain that the pool was properly cared for or winterized in the past, and there is a good chance that the underground water lines and main drain could be bad. The pool was filled about 1/3 of way or so but had a lot of solid (stinky) matter in it, so we were advised to drain in and clean it out. It was a nasty job, but we got this done. However, we were told it is easier to test the lines and drain when the pool is empty. But, the pool service says they can't get anyone out for at least a week. The pool has a concrete base with fiberglass sides. Our house is built on a hill and the pool sits on a patio with a 4'-5' retaining wall on one end with a bit of a hill at the other.

My question is; Do I need to worry about it popping out of the ground, or will the slope allow me to safely leave it empty for a week or two until they can test the lines? I think because of the grade, the water table shouldn't be an issue right now and I don't want to have to fill it up just to drain it right away. But I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Thanks!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Emptying Concrete Pool - How long can it sit empty?

Postby Teapot » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 14:51

Least time possible. A proper pool professional can test the lines and drains when full. Useless pool people can't do anything so watch where you get your "advice" from
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 03:13

I second what Teapot says but looking at the position I would think that if it was going to "pop out" it would have done so by now
It may have been abandoned because of a leak
Remington Jones
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Older concrete pool with fiberglass sides.

Postby Remington Jones » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 20:21

I don't think it was abandoned because of a leak. The previous owner was older and had health issues. I think it was in working order when he stopped opening it, but I'm not sure how well it was maintained after that. It may have developed issues sine then though.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:50

I may be wrong but it looks like there are some pretty unhealthy cracks on show?
Remedy234
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Remedy234 » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 07:13

Ours was empty for months with no issue
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 07:21

Remedy234 wrote:Ours was empty for months with no issue

Depends on water table and finish. Dried plaster can break away

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”