how do YOU winterize your pump and filter?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
daveneo
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: above ground - maybe 4ft X 20 ' diameter - just got it with home purchase - know little about it

how do YOU winterize your pump and filter?

Postby daveneo » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 07:18

and comments appreciated - I plan to disconnect all, drain and add RV anti-freeze. too heavy to move indoors for me anyway

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: how do YOU winterize your pump and filter?

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 07:57

You only need to move the pump indoors not the whole kit. Drain and plug lines leave drain out of the filter. No antifreeze is normally needed but dont know how cold your winters are usually.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
daveneo
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: above ground - maybe 4ft X 20 ' diameter - just got it with home purchase - know little about it

Postby daveneo » Tue 07 Sep, 2021 20:24

' l'eave drain out of the filter' do you mean the drain plug on the big filter housing? so you unhook all the lines going to pump and take it inside. detach any lines going into the filter unit. then the drained filter unit sits outside, along with various pipes and hoses.that ate emptied?
daveneo
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby daveneo » Wed 08 Sep, 2021 15:33

if I drain the pump is that enough to be able to just leave it outside? I want to understand wh people bring these in.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”