Suggest some Pool Supplies

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
MikeJNicodemus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeJNicodemus » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:19

Hi I am Mike Nicodemus.

I want to ask some opinion from you. My house is under renovation right now and I am thinking of putting a swimming pool. My wife told me not to because our grandchildren might fall down and drown into death. I told my wife that there are some pool supplies that can help us so that our grandchildren will be safe.

I have researched some on the internet, they said that I need pool fence to be a barrier between our home and pool. I think so but I don't know how much it will cost and will be truly safe to us? Or I just need to put walls than pool fence?

Please feel free to give your opinion about this matter and also kindly comment other options that I could possibly use pool supplies for my swimming pool.

dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Postby dalehileman » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:49

Mike with no intention whatever to be facetious there's a long pole with a hook at the end for rescue without plunge

You will also need a long-handled net/paddle/racquet to scoop up flotsam and a brush to move sand and dirt settling at the bottom*

A small trash can which ought to be tied down or weighted so wind doesn't topple it into the water

Consider orienting pool so your prevailing wind helps carry flotsam to skimmer port, especially if you contemplate a vf**

*The habit of a typical sweep might not be sufficiently random and so you'll want to push dirt into its most likely path

**If so I have several additional suggestions which however I withhold because some participants might disagree with the most unwholesome vigor but I am your as dalehileman@me.com
Bro Shaun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 3.5 x 7 meter fiberglass inground pool, .75 kw speckpump and 3 bag sand filter

Postby Bro Shaun » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 05:25

Mike making your pool safe can be achieved by adding multiple safety layers and of course the use of general safety habits ( you and your wife could get familiar with) to your pool.

I would suggest using 2 of the following safety layers to your pool.
- pool fence: the pool fence should be sturdy, at least 1.5m high, with no gaps, breaks or nearby climbing tools such as trees, garden furniture etc. The gate through the fence should be lockable, self-latching, spring-loaded and open away from the pool.
-pool alarms: A pool alarm will alert you to the fact that your child has fallen into your pool and is an excellent final Layer of Safety. Be on the Look out for alarms that use subsurface detection and have at least two sirens (one for the pool area and one for the house).
-Pool nets: should never be sag water 3 cm under the weight of your child.

Various habits we adopt as parents or grandparents can also make your pool a safer place.
Simple habits like supervision when children are swimming, teaching them some general safety tips and how to swim as well as some training in first aid can go a long way in preventing an accident or saving a life.
MikeJNicodemus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeJNicodemus » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 19:23

Bro Shaun : thank you for that wonderful advise. :D

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”