Yet another newb question on controls

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Postby Guest » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 17:00

We recenly purchased a home with an inground pool and have a few questions. The plumbing at the pump has 6 ball valves and are labeled as such: Drain, vacuum, skimmer on suction side and waterfall, all mounts, return on pressure side. When not using the vacuum I've been leaving the vacuum port closed with skimmer and drains (it has two) fully open and water fall, all mounts and return fully open. Is this correct or would I be better served with different settings. The reason I ask is pool has one skimmer and doesn't seem to collect as much as it should. I get a lot of debris floating in the shallow end. Should the return be closed so more water is forced through all mounts? What should the pump pressure be with a clean filter (cartridge)?

chesster51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby chesster51 » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 21:34

Just figured a couple of things out. I now know that the return powers the jets and the "w" is missing so it's not all mounts it's wall mounts and those are two jets in the built in seat area. I also discovered that all the jets were partially clogged with the remnants of the broken off bottom flange of the plastic inner filter core. Now that those are free of obstruction the water is really moving.
jenniferhoops
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jenniferhoops » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 01:53

chesster51 wrote:Just figured a couple of things out. I now know that the return powers the jets and the "w" is missing so it's not all mounts it's wall mounts and those are two jets in the built in seat area. I also discovered that all the jets were partially clogged with the remnants of the broken off bottom flange of the plastic inner filter core. Now that those are free of obstruction the water is really moving.

Hello Friends,

Chesster51 i have also buy an house with indoor and outdoor swimming pools. I have problem with my indoor pool its water level is decreasing every day. I have checked all valves and there is no leak and i can't find the leak. Please tell me how can i find the leakage.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and Water Leaks.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 02:48

Typically, indoor pools suffer from a higher rate of natural evaporation than outdoor pools. Coupled with heated water(solar system or gas), the evaporation rate of an indoor pool greatly increases.

It's a good idea to have an automatic water filler and check the chemicals weekly.
chesster51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby chesster51 » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 06:31

The way I was told to check for a leak is this: To check if it's evaporation fill a bucket with pool water and mark it's level on the inside of the bucket. Place the bucket in the pool on a step so the bucket is partially submerged and mark the water level of the pool on the outside of the bucket. Do this while the pump is off and leave it off for 24 hrs. and then check you marks. If water loss is due to evaporatation then the distance between the marks and water level both inside and outside the bucket will be the same. If the distance is greater outside the bucket then you have a leak. Since it was off, this leak would not be in the plumbing but in the shell somewhere, typically around a skimmer, drain, light or wall mount. You can buy some dye to check for leaks at a pool supply store. If your test showed no leak in the shell perform the test again with the pump running for 24 hrs. This will tell you if you have a plumbing leak.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”