High pressure no suction

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
harleyvin
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x2,4 above ground, hayward DE filter with 1hp poump,

High pressure no suction

Postby harleyvin » Mon 02 May, 2011 17:20

I have a 15x24 above ground pool with a hayward DE filter and 1.5hp pump. I start the filter up it circulates fine for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour with a steady flow through the pool nossle but my pressure gage is reading about 20lbs. After an hour I'm still reading a high pressure and I lose the flow through the pool nossle and suction on the skimmer. Aznd it seems like I have a big air bubble at the pump cover. I try to bleed air throught the filter but to no avsail I can't get rid of the air bubble. Also, all the piping is flex hose and I have checked for leaks and did not find any leaks. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I've pulled it apart 3 times to no avail. :x :x

GerryD5

High pressure no suction

Postby GerryD5 » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 20:38

I have a similar problem. At the control valve, whenever I change the setting from skimmer, to 1/2 and 1/2 or main drain, I loose all pressure at the pump. If I prime it back up pressure comes back however if I change the setting the same thing happens. I have changed my pump from a 1hp to a 1 1/2 hp, cleaned my cartridge filter, changed all the rubber seals at the control valve. I am certain there is no blockage, I have not had a pressure test done. Other than that what else could I do?????? Please help
GerhardSA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50000ltr, rectangle

High pressure no suction

Postby GerhardSA » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:32

I have a similar problem.
However my sand filter and pump is above pool water level.
I put on the pump (without Creepy in) and the water takes a few moments to build up enough suction through the weir.
I then put in the creepy pipe into the weir, and the creepy runs fine for about 10 minutes. After that the suction from the weir just seems to dissipate, however the filter at the pump has massive pressure and is filled to the brim with water (seriously high pressure). It forces me to switch of the pump, which releases the pressure (water spurt from the filter) and restarting the pump. The weir then slowly builds up suction again (about a minute or so) then I can only reinsert the creepy, which then again will only work for about 5-10 minutes before suction is lost and I have to start over again.
Keep in mind that I just bought the house and basically inherited this problem from the previous owners.

Please help Guys
Algae-Slayer

High pressure no suction

Postby Algae-Slayer » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 00:04

Gerhard-
You might have one of these problems
1- make sure there is no cracks or holes in the kreepy kraully hose links or connection to the skimmer
if it is catching air through those hoses than the pump will lose prime thus losing suction.
2- Make sure all return valves are open if they are closed this will cause immense pressure check return lines to make sure you are getting a return.
3- Make sure if you have a multi backwash valve that it is on filtration if it is on something else without being properly plumbed it can cause immense pressure
4- keep in mind 15-25 psi is normal for a sand filter but if it is above it should be less check the pumps intake make sure any intake valves or pumps nipple arent leaking, when you plug in a vac it causes drag in those lines and can cause the pump to pull air when normally it wouldnt

when you reinsert the kreepy make sure its air free that will cause you to lose prime

-hope this helps

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”