Pool water level

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
JRDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool water level

Postby JRDad » Fri 20 May, 2011 15:53

Hey guys, I just bought a new house with a inground pool (apprx 18 x 36). The pool had a ripped tarp covering it which allowed leaves and dirt to get in, and the water was a nasty green. Unfortunately, I've never dealt with one before but after lurking here for a while I learned a few ins and outs.

(With the help of an actual pool guy) I opened the pool about a month ago and put in some chemicals (mostly shock) and got it back to a crystal clear color. However, the other day I started vacuuming the bottom and noticed the water level wasn't as high as it once was. It was still above the skimmer at that point, but then I decided to take apart the filter to clean it. Once I put it back together, the water level seemed to go down even more. Now whenever I turn it on, the water is pouring into the skimmer (it reminds me of water going down the drain, just enough to keep it wet but not enough to submerge it) My question to you is if this is normal? Should my skimmer always be under water or only when the filter is on.

Anyways, any and all help will be greatly appreciated and if you need any other info, please don't hesitate to ask.

JRDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool water level

Postby JRDad » Fri 20 May, 2011 16:07

Btw, I have a vinyl liner pool, idk how deep it is (maybe 8ft). The filter is an d.earth filter and kinda looks like this - http://www.pooltimeusa.com/sitebuilderc ... _small.jpg
SPMG
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pool water level

Postby SPMG » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 07:26

Hi,

Water level should be 3" deep at the entrance to the skimmer. This depth of water, combined with the suction from the pump, creates a vortex in the skimmer body. With this vortex most of the water going down the hole comes from the top 2 millimeters of water, thus weakening the surface tension to about half way across the pool and making dust/pollen etc 'slide down' the 'hill' into the skimmer.

If you're losing water you'll find this article useful

One common leak in a pool that has been unused for a while is the gasket in the selector valve. They get stiff with age (who doesn't?) and can leak water to the drains when the pump is on. Therefore, the pipe leading to the rains should have a valve on it and this should be kept close unless you're backwashing the filter, vacuuming to waste or emptying the pool.

You'll find all the info you need here
Ken at SPMG

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”