Complete noob and this pool hasn't been used in months

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
PlasticBlue

Postby PlasticBlue » Mon 30 May, 2011 13:22

Ok so I just bought a house and it had a pool that hadn't been used in at least 7 months. The house was vacant for 6 before I finally got the keys last week. Anyway I finally got some help on the pool (this was a pain) everything seems to be working ok except for a couple things I'm not sure about.

First... I was told that the PSI should not go above 3-4... 5 is too high. But it never goes below 10 and usually stays at 15 but depends on how I have the valves... the filters were a huge mess but after cleaning them off, they seemed pretty good. The thing on the filter says maximum working PSI: 50... so is it ok to run it like that?

Also, it's a pool and a side spa... I notice the valves control which "skimmer" to open (I'm not sure what they're called... the little place on the sidewalk where there's a little basket where water from the pool flows into and then gets sucked to the filter). So one way, the pool works, the other, the side spa, leave it in the middle and they both open but the suction isnt as strong. Do you usually do one and then the other or is ok to leave it in the middle and do both? And I'm not sure what the second valve does... I was guessing it open and closes the jets that shoot the water back into the pool/spa? I thought so at least but I couldn't really notice much difference turning that one.

It was a short sale house and I never spoke with the owner at all so I have like no info on this thing at all and all I was told was that it worked. I did have some help figuring this stuff out and the chemicals and stuff but it's been a headache. I didn't know waht I was getting into buying my first house. I think after I get everything situated and stuff though it should be ok.

The good thing is the pool is now cloudy blue now instead of mucky green so I guess everything is working alright.

Oh and one more thing... the Savior Solar Powered Pool Filtration System... does this thing actually work well? I'm gonna need a new filter eventually and I found this and I was just wondering about it. It seems to good to be true. I know it can't fully replace the normal pump and filter but... seems really nice if it really works well.

Thanks...

SPMG
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SPMG » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 07:03

Hi,

Normal filter pressure for a sand-filter is around 1 Bar = 14psi.

So one way, the pool works, the other, the side spa, leave it in the middle and they both open but the suction isnt as strong. Do you usually do one and then the other or is ok to leave it in the middle and do both?

Having both valves open will halve the suction at each skimmer; the pool will still work with both open.

I have no info on Saviour etc (we've never heard of them in Spain!) but when you buy a new filter choose a sand-filter, fill it with zeolite - and use Jolly Gel - This combination produces the cleanest water you'e 'never' seen!

Ken

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”