Help green pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DawnieBaby
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24ft
AG
sand filter

Help green pool

Postby DawnieBaby » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 05:41

pool is green running filter for 2 weeks pool had not been used in 2 years let water level get low to get the leaves and debri out.. filled back up vacuumed lots.. still green..checked levels on strips all showing low.. I have added shock, algecide,...It is so cloudy and green when we vacuum it gets darker from the gunk we are stirring up to vacuum out..it gets lighter as we let it filter but we cant see the bottom to tell if there is anymore leaves, when we vacuum we only get a few leaves..i don't know what to add or what to do now????

Ken at SPMG

Help green pool

Postby Ken at SPMG » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 06:50

Hello, Getting an unused pool back into shape is straightforward.
First balance pH and then superchlorinate.

Use a net to remove as many leaves as you can, then scrub all pool surfaces as well as you can see/feel to loosen dirt adhering to the sides and bottom.

Next apply a flocculant

Follow the instructions in the above download but, in a nutshell, this is what you must do - apply the flocculant, leave the pump OFF overnight and next morning vacuum the pool to WASTE

Ken
shoe2522
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40X16 in ground hayward 1hp pump Pentair nsp60 Nautalus filter ..AquaCAl heatpump heater titanium heat exchanger

Help green pool

Postby shoe2522 » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 21:17

dont dump algecide in a green pool ....youre wasting your money ..... shock the hell out of it .... Algecide doesnt kill algea it prevents it ... shock kills active algea.....I cant stress water balance enough.......If you are green you need to backwash almost on a daily basis to get a "swamp" to clear up ....sometimes changing the filter media(sand/ DE /cartrige) is key here too.... When my DE filter is cleaning the green at the begining of the season in the northeast I sometimes have to shut everything down, breakdown the filter, hose every bit of green out, reassemble and recharge ......If you have a mesh cover like I do you are going to backwash more as you get a nasty green slime on the bottom of the pool that you'll be vacuuming up right into the filter.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”