Please get me started.. :)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Missycoo

Please get me started.. :)

Postby Missycoo » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:43

I'm a new pool owner of a 3,100 gallon 15 x 42. I filled it up, added the correct doses of shock and an algae chemical and after 3 days, my pool is still brownish green. I'm wondering how often I need to continue adding checmicals until my water turns clear. Thanks for any help!

pooluser

brown green water

Postby pooluser » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:54

Sounds like you need to recalculate the number of gallons your pool holds. A 15 x 42 should hold way more than 3100 gallons.
Missycoo

re:

Postby Missycoo » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:15

I'm just going by what the box said... just over 3,100. Should I keep shocking every day with the pump running? How long will it take for the shocking to be visibly working? Any idea? :(
pooluser

Postby pooluser » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:31

If I were you I would take a sample of the water to a local pool store. Most will test your water for free and give you the advise you need to clear up your water. If your pool is a 15 foot diameter pool, then you are correct about the volume of water.
Missycoo

re:

Postby Missycoo » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:24

Thanks for the reply pooluser, yes that would be exactly what I would be doing if I didn't live out in the sticks... I'm about 3 hours from any pool facility. haaahaa :) I did buy the test strips and according to them, my colors were in the range I should be in except for my PH... that was a little off...

Postby Guest » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 21:16

You statement leads me to believe that your pool was brownish -green as soon as you filled it ? Are you using well water ? You may have a mineral problem.
cberwick76

Postby cberwick76 » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:46

This is what we did to a Black swamp water pool - added Shock and ran the filter 24/7 - every night we had to empty both the intake basket and pump basket cause there we sooo many leaves and debris in it. Had a small setback for a day after a friend of ours was fiddling with the filter controls and set it to RECIRCULATE!!!! But after we figured out the reason why the pool water was foaming all was good. Now we add a bit of shock everynight...15 ml of ClearBlue every morning, brush the sides and let the pump run for the day and now its blue and ready to go...

We don't test the water...our eyebrows haven't fallen out yet so we're good...tho I won't reccommend not testing it! :)
Accents

Pool size calculation

Postby Accents » Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:28

It sounds like your problem may be a calculation error. If your pool is 15'x40' you have 600 sq ft of surface area. Multiply that times the average depth of your pool. If you have a deep end you probably have about 5 ft average depth. So 600x5=3000 cubic feet. I think that is where your problem is. Did your box say 3100 cubic feet? The key here is to convert cubic feet of H2O to gallons you multiply by 7.48. So 3100x7.48=23,200 gals. If this is all correct, you are WAY under-dosing. Hope this helps. :wink:
kccats
I'm new here
I'm new here

Wrong calculations

Postby kccats » Tue 04 Jul, 2006 01:30

I have a pool about that size and it is 22,000 gal.
If you are applying for a 3100 gal, then you are only using 1/7th of the amount you need.
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Fri 07 Jul, 2006 08:55

sounds like well water to me and maybe under calculating the pool gallons. If you have a round pool at 15' and 42" deep it is about 4600 gallons.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”