Hello From Nicaragua

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
flames9
I'm new here
I'm new here

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby flames9 » Fri 06 Jan, 2012 19:12

We had a fellow looking after our pool, but not sure if he is doing a good job. He is a nice fellow, but more or less self-taught. Our pool is approx 10,000L, rectangular shaped.

I have a fairly basic test kit--Hydrotools "Deluxe" kit. It tests the Clorine/Bromine and the alkalinity which is the pH.

Chemicals: Made by a company called SPIN.
ACID which should lower the Ph correct?
Alkalin. Which should raise the PH

Trizide, which is a combo of 3, chlorine, algea and something else

And then Clarity Plus, which I believe is used to clean the pool.

based on what I can test the only level that is out of whack is the pH! It appears to be around 8.2. So I need to lower that. My pool guy tells me to add ALKALIN?????? which makes no sense to me. Should I not be adding the ACID to lower the Ph??

As wel I was told to never add it directly to the pool, but always add it to the filter, is that correct? And then let it run for a few hrs.

I'm assuming that is the same for thew Clarity plus?? By the sounds of it, by adding the clarity plus, the "debris" sinks to the bottom and then one can vacuum it up.

Many Thanks, looking forward to learning more from this forum. Scott

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby chem geek » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 03:06

To lower alkalinity you can follow the procedure in this post. Note that you should add acid slowly over a return flow in the deep end with the pump running. After you have added the acid, lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool to ensure thorough mixing. You do NOT add acid to the skimmer or to the filter directly -- it can easily damage your equipment including metal in your heater, your pump seals, and even your filter depending on its type (especially cartridge). The advice about raising alkalinity when the pH is high is completely wrong. You know more than your pool guy. I suggest you read the Pool School for additional info.
flames9
I'm new here
I'm new here

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby flames9 » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 08:58

Thanks for the info. Time to start reading.

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby Guest » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:31

doesnt matter what the pH says... if its above ideal (7.5) then yes add acid... do it in a broadcast maner.
As far as your Total Alkalinity is concerned, it should be between 100 and 120 ... respectevly. if it isn't you should be adding Sodium Bicarbonate or baking soda or "Alka" by Spin which will only raise the the Total Alkalinity ( it will slighlty raise the pH). Some Chlorines will raise the pH... so therefore you have to use some form of acid (muriatic acid is a common method) to lower it .
There is really no other trick or way to play with the chemistry

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby Guest » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:39

there are really only 4 chemicals to be concerned with here...1) chlorine ( or trizine a modified mix of chlorine and algeacides). 2) Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) for your Total Alkalinity or T.A . 3) Calcium Hardness or C.H. (calcium chloride) which is solely used to protect the pool cement surfaces and 4) Muriatic Acid or Soda Ash ( the accelarator or brake on the pH) they will either will raise or lower pH ... depending on the type of chlorine being used.

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby Guest » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:50

none of the products by Spin named with Alka..xxx will lower the pH. they either will raise the pH. Raise the Alkalinity and the PH or solely raise the Alkalinity ( if i remember correctly Alka raises the Alkalinity alone). to lower the pH, Acidet (hence the Spnanish word acid) will lower the pH. Or just go to a hardware store and do what most commercial aquatic centres use... Muriatic Acid! Broadcast it directly over a return so that it doesnt settle on a surface and definetly dont dump it in the skimmer. dont drip any of the acid on cement surfaces... it will eat away at it.
The "pool calculator.com" will calculate and tell you how much acid to use to lower pH and basically repeat everything iv'e been typing here about.
When using sanitizers, its alwasy wise to ask or find out what the product will do to the pH. Most manufacturers do list what the pH content of the product is and as a result...

Hello From Nicaragua

Postby Guest » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:54

be careful when your lowering the pH with acid (or any form of acid).. Monitor your T.A. Total Alkalinity while doing so... Lowering the pH with acid does lower the T.A somewhat..
If your pH fluctuates alot due to the type of Chlorine used. i would definatly keep a big tub of Sodium Bicarbonate handy to raise the T.A and a gallon or 2 of Muriatic Acid handy!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”