I feel like i've tried everything!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
rheabooth17
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: im pretty sure its about 25,000 gallons. Sand filter, vinyl liner, in ground.

Postby rheabooth17 » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:08

We've moved into a new house in Georgia that came with an inground pool. The pool was full of black algae, leaves, cloudy, frogs, tadpoles, etc. We've cleaned, shocked, vacuumed, chlorinated, changed the sand in the filter, balanced ph, used algecide and it still is green and cloudy. Are we not putting enough products in, are we missing a step, or have i not waited long enough? I think it is a 25,000 gallon pool.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 20:50

You haven't used enough chlorine. Stop adding the other products. Also, get a good test kit and read Defeating Algae. If your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level is very high, I'd do a partial drain/refill to lower it first rather since it will then take less chlorine to kill the algae as a result.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:01

You have not mentioned draining and pressure washing the gunite prior of dumping your money in this mess. That should be the step #1.
Than you start with almost clean slate and built on better foundation, that you can input into the Pool Calculator.
BTW, shocking of progressed state of algae contamination is not what the guy at Leslie's generally discribes!
Did you know, that the thing you trying to kill may be already rooted in the gunite wall 4" deep?
It takes knowledge, resolve and consistency to make sure you kill 100% of the invader without remnants in the walls.
Otherwise you just maintaining a money pit in your yard. Harsh fact, but true.
sansationalpools

Postby sansationalpools » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 15:45

Okay - Im gonna help you - when a pool is that bad you have to 1 - Flock your pool and 2 - vacuum to waste
Heavy sludge, black water - causes your filter to clog quickly, so -
raise the ph to 7.5 - 8.0 , add LIQUID FLOCK - circulate water without filtering for 4 hours or so.

Then shut off filter and allow particles to settle to bottom of pool overnight.

In the morning, vaccum your pool to waste -your pool needs to be overfilled for this step, in other words, hook up your vacuum but change your valves to the position you would use if your pool water was too high.
This allows the dirty waster to be vacuumed directly out of the pool insted of recirculating thru the filter and back into the pool. Shock the sh!t out of it, adjust your ph down and adjust your alkalinity, chlorinate as usual and you should be good
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 15:20

In addition to the steps listed above, you may need to change your vinyl liner. In this case, I would just recommend draining the pool (check in your area for a high water table to avoid 'popping' the pool right out of the ground), having a new lioner installed, backwash the filter or change the sand, refill and enjoy! Some battles aren't worth the fight. You have never seen the condition of the vessel, as far as your decription, so you might want to do this just for your own peace of mind.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”