How to maintain a pool or spa?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Flora27
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: pump

Postby Flora27 » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 01:45

Hi,
I am moving to new place with a spa in the yard. The spa is underground and can fit about 10 people. Due to budget I will try to maintain it myself. Other then fanning out leaves I have no clue which chemicals are better then others and what needs to be done so some experienced advice would be helpful. Pool supply stores are everywhere so that's not a problem. Does a laundry bleach can be an alternative to chlorine temporarily or at least until I get the proper materials?
Thanks in advance

lucy brightley
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby lucy brightley » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:41

Hi

We've got a really helpful article on all the different types of pool chemicals and what they're used for that might help! take a read http://yourpool.co/running/your-guide-to-pool-chemicals/ Hope it helps and you enjoy your pool this summer!
PosseMama

Postby PosseMama » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 14:57

I am just getting started and cannot figure out how much bleach & borax to add to my pool. it is 15' x 48" above ground pool. Please help!!!!!!!!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 15 Apr, 2012 19:30

You probably don't need to add borax unless your pH is too low. As for bleach and other chemical adjustments, use The Pool Calculator to figure out dosing. Be sure to put in your pool volume, your current numbers, and your desired/target numbers to see what you need to do.
JohnnyBceo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21r Gray Stone, Fish Print Liner(beaded), E200 System, Ionizer and a set of wedding cake steps.

Postby JohnnyBceo » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 15:01

You could always take a water sample to your local pool store and get them to test it for you. take about a 20oz water bottle
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Mon 14 May, 2012 01:13

Flora27 wrote:Hi,
I am moving to new place with a spa in the yard. The spa is underground and can fit about 10 people. Due to budget I will try to maintain it myself. Other then fanning out leaves I have no clue which chemicals are better then others and what needs to be done so some experienced advice would be helpful. Pool supply stores are everywhere so that's not a problem. Does a laundry bleach can be an alternative to chlorine temporarily or at least until I get the proper materials?
Thanks in advance

Maintaining a pool or spa has typically meant using corrosive, toxic substances like boating pool water and bromine.Ensure that your spa has moving pushes to keep the water free from plankton and other filthy ingredients. Use only cleaning products recommended by the maker. Sterilize the water regularly to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 14:35

My company has created a calculator which is very simple to use. No parameters to set and very easy to navigate. You can use the results as a sort of 'shopping list' at your local pool/spa store.
Gp to http://www/cpo2go.com and give it a try.
I don't like making a post about my own product but you will need ongoing help with your chemistry and it's not an easy answer to give in a forum :)
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”